Any news on Dirk Lance? (Alex Katunich)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Noobai, May 22, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Anybody know whats hes done since he left Incubus?

The guy is my complete idol, and I would love to follow any projects he does. Anybody heard anything?
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Dirky left Incubus? What the hell. I'm so out of it. What happened, man? :meh:
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Creative differences. Asked to leave the band the October after they finished their tour in 2001-2002 (lucky I caught them).

Ben Kenney from Blackalicious and The Roots is their new bass player and will be playing with them at Lollapalooza. No news on Dirk yet :(
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Dirk left? BAH! Good thing I saw them last summer. Although Dirk always plays well, the band's latest stuff pales in comparison to their earlier work in terms of virtuous bass playing. Their first album ("Fungus Amongus") was as much funk as rock, and none of this middle-of-the-road Top 40 stuff. Anyone who's only picked up on Incubus in the last few years should check it out.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Bummer! As I understand it, he was behind a lot of the writing too - reckon their sound'll change a lot (as if it hadn't already from album to album)? Caught 'em when they came out to Australia and Dirk was wicked onstage - he heard me calling for a bass solo, I saw that bearded grin from all the way down in the pit :D
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ben is actually the GUITAR player from the Roots.
  7. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I know, but he played bass for Blackalicious. He also played with Mike and Jose from Incubus in a side project and they just recruited him in.

So no news eh?
  8. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    i havent heard anything, but i remember when i first heard he was out of incubus. i looked back at my copy of bass player that came out after morning view, with him on the cover
    . he kept saying that he was playing better notes etc. and im sure he was playin some great notes, but his influence was obciously gone on that album. I was listen to incubus since '97, and i didnt even purchase the album. People say that he was overplaying earlier on, which would be true (fungus amongus) but you could say he was underplaying recently. I thought make yourself was great though, but they "matured" ie people bought that sound. the "adult contemporary" sound. and it seemed so fake after all their earlier stuff. Well im ranting, but as a final question, what happened to brandons shirt? did he ever find that thing?
  9. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Hahahahahahahahhaha!!!! So true. :D