Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any News Re Fender Roscoe Beck 5 Version II?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyMan, Jun 1, 2002.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey everyone--

Happy June 1!!! Summer's gonna be in full swing soon and I hope everyone will be rockin' and playing out all summer!

Anyone hear any new info re the Roscoe Beck 5 version II release at July Namm???

I'm considering a current RB 5, unless the version II will be significantly different/better...

Any info would be cool...

Thanks,

Andy

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I didn't even know they were going make a second model. This is good news, however, as the first edition might be a little bit cheaper now. I played one while I was in New York and became really depressed when I realized it was out of my price range.

3. If that's the RB5 hanging in Manny's on 48th (terrible store), I've played that bass. I didn't like the neck; it was too wide and thin for my tastes. However, the tone was somewhere between "Thor" and "Shiva."

BTW, where are you in northern Illinois, SuperDuck? My folks moved up to McHenry from down near Joliet about nine months back.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i love that bass (RB I)... i didnt know about that RBII (Stu Hamm does have a secong bass)

if its true and prices drop i would definetely buy a RB I

*Goes to Fender.com to check*

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Betcha one of the changes is that the neck will be smaller.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, I think it was in Manny's. Small world. :D (If that's the store right off of Broadway... they all seem to blend together to me.) I LOVED the neck. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed that bass so much. I also thought the pickups and tone options were incredible. I read that they designed those pickups with Roscoe Beck just for that bass, though, so I wouldn't imagine they would change them.

I'm in Arlington Heights, which is just northwest of Chi-town and about a half-hour away from McHenry. I know a few people out there and visit them often. It's a really nice place to live.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You say you live in Arlington Hieghts? I have an uncle that lives there, Dan Sharlou? Ring a bell?

I still wanna know when we are going to have the MW TB get together.

:Edit: I forgot to talk about the bass!

What are the controls and the RB1? Ive always really wanted to try one of those out but I havent been able to find one around here.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can't say I've heard of your uncle. There ARE 70,000 people or so living here, but I'll keep my eye out for him. ;)

I've been waiting for the MW TB GT (abbreviations... oh yeah... although the time I saved abbreviating was lost when I actually typed out abbreviations... for the third time...), and haven't heard about it from anybody. Did we reach a location decision in the poll thread from a while back?

9. I really loved the tonal options--the recommended neck-in-parallel + bridge-in-series combination was nothing short of godlike--but I really intensely dislike the neck. It felt like it wanted to be a lot thicker...you know what I'm talking about?

I was born in Arlington Heights, actually. My folks have lived all over the Chicago area--Brookfield, Buffalo Grove, Munster, Naperville, Channahon (intersection of I-55 and I-80, more Downstate than Chicago, really), and now McHenry. AH has a really cool downtown--I wouldn't mind living there one bit.

10. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I recently purchased a new Fender Roscoe Beck (Feb. 2002). Prior to purchasing, I inquired if this model was being discontinued and whether a new model was coming out, at that time the reply was negative. I picked up my new bass at Chuck Levins in Wheaton, MD for what I thought was the best price at the time ($1109.00 + tax). It was ordered from the factory and came meticulously packaged and set-up to my satisfaction. The PAO Ferro fret boad is gorgeous, frets flawlessly finished and the overall fit and finish was excellent. The color is Shoreline Gold. I love the wide assymetrical neck and find it more comfortable to play than my Precision Gold Elite I. The PUPS are passive and pretty hot.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    where are the link to the notice??

it´s not on fender.com

12. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    Yeah I'm a fan of the Roscoe Beck model, nice tone. They've got a few in a city a little ways south of here, its a Fender-Only store, pretty cool place.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, it's PaU ferro. "pau" in Portuguese means wood and "ferro" means iron. I cannot understand why Fender won't fix the error, as they're spreading misinformation around.

FYI, "pao" in Portuguese means "bread"

14. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I love my RB........the only thing I would like to see them 'fix' would be the output.

The RB is very low in output, designed to match Roscoe's other basses I believe, .....but doesn't match PJR's other basses.....lol...

Minor complaint, for a great value in Bass !!

PJR

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Betcha that's going to be the other major change. Driving envelope-following effects with the RBV is something of a pain because of the "vintage" low output. The price you pay for tone...

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

LOL! Good ol Fender...

17. J-Retro.

Pain in the butt having to fabricate a new pick guard, etc, but still worth the grief.

18. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Have you done that Bruce ???

I'd be interested in your results.......

PJR