1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any nice 1x15 or 1x12 4 Ohm Cabs out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groover, May 11, 2010.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd like to match this up with an Ampeg SVT-3PRO. I like the Bergantino stuff, but I'm hoping to find a 4 Ohm to get the most out of my 3Pro as well as be able to use it as a second 4 Ohm cab for my SVT (at 2 ohms).

Any recommendations would be great. My style of playing and preference would be towards a cab with deep low and strong low mids (versus sparkly and clear highs)

Thanks!

2. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Anyone? :bag:

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    In about three to four weeks Avatar is coming out with a 115 three way cabinet in 4 or 8 ohms . It will have the Eminence 3015lf neo driver and a higher wattage 6"mid driver with his standard tweeter . The cab will be rated at 450 watts and is the only 4 ohm 115 cab that I know of that uses that awesome woofer . You can get it in about any color combination and covering to match exsisting cabs and it would probably work great as a stand alone cabinet all for around $450-500 . Unlike most 115 cabs this one will probably be able to keep up with a loud band by itself and handle a real 450 watts .

Another option is to contact LDS and see what he can build . Don builds great cabinets and has access to different drivers , he probably knows what other 4 ohm 15's would work and could give you an idea what might work for you .

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it's a big waste to get a 4 ohm 115 in the hopes of throwing every available bit of power from your amp into it. that's how come so many people end up with blown cabs...trying to throttle a tiny 4 ohm cab with an assload of power.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to Jimmy. You gain nothing, except the increased chance of blowing the cab. If you want a 4 ohm cab for the 3Pro, it should be a multi-driver cab.

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I would normally agree with you guys about trying to get too much out of a 115 cab but the new Avatar cabs use the same woofer as the fEarfuls and a dedicated mid in a cabinet big enough to take advantage of that driver . If this cabinet won't work as a standalone cab with enough power the fEarfuls won't either . The Avatar cab isn't an fEarful but it's awful close to it .

7. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Schroeder makes one of each and they kick ass.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that might actually make a difference ;)

well good for avatar watching the market for new trends. about time manufacturers started making these cabs. i'd still say to buy two at 8 ohms and REALLY raise the roof, though ;)

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for Replies and suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for the Avatar. I already own their 210NEO and the 410NEO, which both sound great with the 3pro. I'm just aiming to reconfigure this smaller rig with a single 15 (and 3pro) for 15" type tone, and eventually get rid of the other two smaller driver cabs.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I do believe Mesa-Boogie offers nearly all of their speaker lineup in both 4 and 8 ohms, including their 1x12, and the PH 15 is rated @ 600 watts, making it a viable 4 ohm speaker perhaps?