Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any nice budget Fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I currently own a fretted MM as my main bass. I would like to buy a cheap fretless bass. Have you got any advice? I read that the Femder Mexican jazz doesn't give a nice fretless sound. Please tell me iwhen you know a nice fretless bass, also where i could buy it then..
    Thanks in advance,
    Philip

2. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Switch Guitar fretless bass

There's a review of this particular bass in the new Guitar World Bass Guitar mag (100 tips from the pros inside as well). Their web site does not show the new cover, but it is on newsstands.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive played several fretless MIM jazz basses and i actually think they sound and play pretty good. I think if you get one and put in new pickups, it will be a great bass, because they do indeed play really well.

4. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I will refer you to the SX mega thread.

5. And where can i find this thread?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. Ok,thanks:) Any advice on pickups for Fender Mex. Jazz??

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depending on the sound, i hear Dimarzio Ultra jazz (i think theyre called) are great.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    MIM Jazz/Dimarzio ultra-jazz, Maybe a new bridge/tuners.

Bass on.

11. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    From what I've seen and played, Yamaha has some pretty good fretlesses for cheap.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I owned a Fretless MIM Fender Jazz a couple of years ago - it seemed to do a very nice fretless sound to me (plenty of MWAH!). Unfortunetly I sold it as I didn't have enough time to devote to my fretted technique let alone my fretless technique at the time!

I may go back to fretless at some point in the future.....but my experience of Fender MIM was good indeed!

13. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've got a Yamaha BBN4 fretless that was cheap (about $250 as I recall). Lightweight a very nice "squonky" fretless tone. I did replace the OEM strings with Rotosound tape wounds. Certainly an improvement. Hard to beat for the price.

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Maybe you siad that wrong... but that sound's like a horrible sound for a bass to make :eyebrow:

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a MIJ fretless from the mid 90's, which at the time were about the same price/quality of the MIM jazz basses. I've put EMG's and a quan and this is an awesome sound. Ironically, I'm not big on EMG's but this combination works great

16. the MIM jazz with stock flats gives a lot of thump.. to say it is not a nice sound is stretching it I think. Its just a sound that has certain applications, not necessarily a modern singing fretless tone. With different strings, good setup, and good technique you can make it sound great. I used to own a cheap Yamaha fretless which really sang nicely.. It was the BBN4F model.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeah, the stock Fender pickups are great, stick with them! -Extremely- under-rated and under-appreciated!

18. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    i've played several fretless Cort Curbows, and I think they sounded very good. They're an acquired taste, and they smell a little weird (due to the luthite), but all the fretlesses I've played have been pretty good.

19. I have exactly the setup described. MIM jazz with DiMarzio UltraJazz, and flatwound strings. It is fairly good.
    Here's an example
    http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~cstump/music/cms - Ornithology.mp3
    This is the bass, straight into my DAW. (no amp, no EQ, nada)

I found one with a decent neck, that made a good sound acoustically. The stock pickups were terrible, although I hear they've made them somewhat better in the intervening years since I bought mine.
    I didn't replace the bridge because I didn't particularly want a lot of sustain. The tuners could use an upgrade, but it's not critical. The flats are old enough to be pretty well locked in.

20. I had a MIM Jazz FL a few years ago, but having seen both passion and time decline, I ditched it. Stock p'ups, Quann bridge; very nice sound.