1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any nice metal bands that include much egyptian music instruments/styles?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Demon, May 8, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Does anyone know of any metal band that uses of egyptian music instruments or influences?

2. Check out the band Nile.

3. KMR

KMR

May 7, 2006
    checkout the record: "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden.. it has some nice Egyptian themed-songs. But i don't know if this is what you're searching for

4. aww you beat me to it!
    Well Nile only really has the "Egyptian" parts at the begininng and in some breaks. I think its just mediteranean minor, sounds like 10 commandments (or yugi-oh!) as opposed to actual Egyptian/middle eastern music with ΒΌ tones etc.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I have heard nile, and imo its not really melodic enough for my taste and the growl is too deep=/ I cudnt notice slightest egyptian theme, but i only heard maybe 4 songs. Anyone know of any melodic? It doesnt have to be "egyptian", but around there, middleeast etc. And ye, i heard powerslave, and theres not really any egyptian theme exept the lyrics, but its still a kickass song=) (iron maiden owns)

6. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    dream theater has a song called "home" that has an egyptian/exotic sound to it.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im looking more at a whole album or band, but ill check it out, and ye sorry, powerslave does indeed have have a tiny bit of egyptian sound, but none of the other songs on the album i heard does;/ but can anyone tell me what album of nile that has some egyptian theme? Cos what i heard, there is none.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nile is totally egyptian themed. They're also one of the most extreme bands I can think of...so they might not be for everyone. I'd imagine they'd be the house band in the egyptian underworld. If you like brutal technical death metal they are one of the best. Check out the newest album "Annihilation of the Wicked." The opening is awesome, and very egyptian sounding. Other great egyptian themed songs on that album include "Sacrifice unto Sebek" and "User-Maat-Re."

If you like that album, proceed quickly to their previous release "In Their Darkened Shrines" for more amazing stuff. Both albums have egyptian inspired melodies and lyrics throughout.

I'm interested in hearing some of these other bands too. I definitely will check some out.

9. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    dream theater, home from the scenes from a memory album.
    only one song but i defenitly has that middle eatsern vibe to it, especiall the outro. check it out.

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hmm, ill listen closer on nile then i guess.. anyway, if you go to mysongbook.com and sear at tab(not artist) for Great Egypt, play that guitar pro tab, and thats the kinda sound=) sadly, it seems like some guy made the tab and theres no real song:/ Anyone know of more bands that sound like that Tab?

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd go for Nile, there is no way you can say an album like Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren-Ka does not sound egyptian.

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I found a cool one, The mad arab, by Mercyful fate, real good! Try it! Thats the stuff im looking for, if i ever start a band, darn, its gonna be influenced by middleeastern/egypt music!;D Btw, anyone know what the instrument is that plays that egyptic sound?

13. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    when you get used to the music, you'll see nile has got lots of melody, and pretty much all of it sounds mor or less egyptian.

also check out lykathéa aflame - elvenfris. not the easiest accessible album either, but its one of the best! :D

14. If you want to check out some really hip, middle eastern style music, check out the band Secret Cheifs 3. Particularly the album Book M. It's the guitar player from Mr. Bungle's more recent project. Highly recomended.

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Fjonstarr, what genre is it^^?

16. It's mostly middle eastern melodies and harmonies with a combination of modern and traditional instrumentation. It's kind of eclectic in its influences, but it has elements of tech or death metal, modern electronica like Drum N Bass and techno, kelzmer music, spagetti western style soundtrack music, surf music and 70's style soul. :smug: Not neccesarilly all at once. And Mr. Bungle was one of the most amazing bands ever. See if you can find "Desert Search for Techno Allah" from their album "Disco Volante". :D :bassist:

17. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Another good Mr. Bungle song with middle eastern themes is "Ars Morendi." Fantastic song! It's from their album "California."

18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You can hear Egyptian themes on the album Blackwater Park by Opeth.

Also in the song "Closure."

19. Charred

Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    System Of A Down

Its a very unique application, and to me at least, very refreshingly different. Is not so much in the instruments used but rather in the molodies (both vocals and guitar).
    I think at least some of the band members are of Arab descent as well.

Very interesting songwriitng across the board, and performed with genuine high passion energy.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What makes a metal band "nice?"