Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any noise reduction pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzbassnerd, May 11, 2003.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    My bass has this really anoying(sp?) hum when i turn down one of the pickups.

First : can this get solved by getting the electronics resaudered(sp again?)

Second: If the first one doesnt work will a noise reduction unit take away the noise and if so which one do i get???

Thanks
    Scott

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I take it that you have a jazz bass or something that looks like it.
    This is by design. Single coil pickups do hum.
    A Rocktron Hush or a Boss Noise Supressor NS-2 will do a decent job.
    A better idea if it really annoys you would be to change your pickups for in-line or stacked Jsize humbuckers.
    It is possible to reduce single coil hum by shielding cavities, pickups and cables with copper tape and waxing pickups.
    I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, but it's doable.
    Even then you won't completely get rid of it.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The one that pisses me off is on low end 'active basses' and some higher end (like my corvette fretless was), is that they aren't truly active. The are essentially passive witha built in preamp, instead actual active pickups and a preamp. Any noise gerenerated by the single is amplified ten fold. Then you end up backing of the treble to combat the noise....what's the point in having the ability to boost frequencies, if you need to back them aff to get a workable tone.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I see a surprising amount of posts about noise-reduction pedals so I thought I'd make an important point. There is no such thing as a noise reduction pedal! All that exists are noise-gates which let all the noise through along with your tone when you're playing, but whenever you're not playing they cut off the signal thus hiding the noise. But it's still there whenever you play a note.

Unless nothing else works, don't bother with noise reduction pedals, just shield and ground your bass properly and if that's not sufficient replace the single-coil pickups with humbucking ones. Noise-gates are a real last resort.

The best use for noise-gates live appears to be on drumkits to gate the toms and they're fantastic at that.

Alex

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - a noise gate or compressor/limiter is going to be very irritating if you let any notes ring, as the noise will probably be increased as the note dies away. Especially in pedal form - most of these things are just going to add noise and have a detrimental effect on your tone and definition.

As Alex says, gates work well on things with a short decay like drums - but not so well on something like bass, unless you intend to play a constant stream of staccato notes! ;)

6. I use the Boss Pro NS 50 instead of the gate on
    my compressor and I have super sustain.
    Notes can ring to an extended decay or controlled feedback.
    As long as I hold it, it'll sound.

Noise gates on compressors are for vocals and drums.

Hush & NS 50 are designed for string sustain.

...Pedal's? Fergetaboutit.

When the signal is boosted through the preamp
    the noise is also boosted and any preamp noise
    is included too. This changes the noise floor in such
    a way as to allow a good line-level gate to have a
    much lower threshold, thus make it more sensitive
    and therefore triggering at much lower apparent levels.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Of course, your other option is something like this:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=SNR2000&lang=eng

This, as far as I can figure, is a multi band noise gate. So you can hone in on the particular frequencies that are noisy, and just gate those, without affecting your complete signal.

Maybe one day, when processing power allows, you'll be able to take a noise print (a la, cool edit, or the sonic foundry moise reduction plugin), and strip the noise out of the signal....but in real time.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - but the question was specifically about"pedals" - with high end, expensive gear you can start to address this - but pedals are probably just going to create more noise and not deal with the problem.

As Donne said :

"...Pedal's? Fergetaboutit. "