Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any NORML Supporters out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Dec 12, 2003.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    just wondering...
    i'm not... as of yet.
    but i think i'll do my duty and join...

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ummm yes... duh

appropriate huh

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yes there are, but this is not the site for that.
    This would be more of a topic for the lounge.
    **Become a supporting member**

But hey, we'll see how well this goes over.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Thanks JT. :)

5. I will probably never ingest cannabinoids in my life (willingly, anyway), and some of the marijuana legalization lobby's propaganda is eye-rollingly bad, but I support NORML's efforts to bring a bit of sanity to the drug debate.

6. No doubt. Many people who were "smart" enough to ascend to the upper reaches of government still think marijuana is as bad as cocaine or heroin. Not to mention the hypocritical members of Congress from both major political parties who decry marijuana while taking big donations from the tobacco industry, whose legal product kills 400,000 people a year. There's not a single documented case of anyone dying from smoking marijuana.
    I've been to a couple of pro-weed rallies, and I don't agree with the NORML people. To hear them tell it, the jack-booted government thugs are outside your door, just waiting for you to light up.
    I think it's one of those "live and let live" things -- I'm in the privacy of my own home, and not hurting anyone except, potentially, myself. A "victimless crime", if you will, despite the ONDCP's claims that my weed money goes to Al Qaeda. :rolleyes: Oops.. this is getting political..
    I'll keep smokin' whether they legalize it or not. Come and get me.

7. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Well, I don't use or condone the use of marijuana. I suspect it's more destructive emotionally and psychologically than most users are able to recognize or willing to admit. Having said that, it appears to me that altering our conscious state seems to be a very human action that appears in virtually every culture that exists or ever existed. Seems to be part of the human condition although I do not mean to imply that everyone does it.

Although I wish my kids would just stay sober, if I had to choose I would prefer for them to use marijuana rather than alcohol or cigarettes. Except of course for the fact that it could land them in prison.

And there is my biggest objection to the whole situation. It just doesn't make sense to me to put people in jail for simple use of marijuana. And I think the worst thing about mariuana use is that to buy it, users have to venture into an underworld populated by criminals and thugs. In my view that can lead to harder drugs and other criminal activity. I guess in the final analysis, I would like to see it decriminalized. Maybe not the perfect outcome, but better I think than putting folks in jail. Don't know if that agrees with NORML's views or not.

8. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Hey Joe -- Has anyone ever told you that your avatar is... well... disturbing? I can't take my eyes off it. Some kind of morbid fascination. I like it though.:)

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Why thank you!! I have a few more up my sleeves!

[​IMG]

10. I've been a supporter of NORML in my section, going to some of there rallies-using there phamplets and media around my area. I supported Bruce Margolin's(NORML CALIFORNIA CHAPTER PRESIDENT) running for the governor of California. With all this thou, there fighting a opposition that is a million time richer and a million times more powerful. Even thou I see all this talk about liberal policies from people I know which seems to be the majority thought(From friends or foes)-I wonder why it hasn't become the national policy? Maybe because I live in a more liberal state, or maybe because these are the percentiles that don't vote. All I know is that the repeal of marijuana prohibition is so slow and so battered by federal policies, it will take something strong to change anything in America.

11. Damn straight.

12. OK, but my wife will be home soon, so make it quick!
    And bring Cheetos. :D
    And some of that there vanilla eggnog!