1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any obvious advantages tone wise to mono rail type bridge/saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 15, 2021.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I've pondered on maybe changing the stock Ibanez B10 bridge on my Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass with a GSRM20B body and bridge for mono rail type bridge/saddle pieces, primarily because I would like to decrease the string spacing from the current standard 19mm to a slightly tighter spacing, perhaps something like around 17,5mm, which the mono rail bridge/saddle pieces would easily allow for, plus I think it could look cool, but would it be realistic to expect any advances to it tone wise, like improved string definition and/or sustain, or shouldn't I expect much of a difference?

Also any brands/models better than others, or would it be perfectly fine just to use the cheap standard Göldo mono rails?

Also would the material they are made of matter, like zink, brass or steel, and what to expect from those different materials?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

They look cool, slightly reduce crosstalk between strings and make multiscale instruments a lot easier to build and adjust. They also allow as many or few strings as you want.
    They make grounding more complicated and can be difficult to install in the right spot.
    That's about it for all I know.

If you want to experiment with string spacing there are more convenient ways, like the Schaller roller bridge.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. billdylan

billdylan

Apr 28, 2009
    Thats On the nose advice .....you've got to earth the bridge via a wire to one monorail bridge piece ...and install a brass nut for continuity to the other monorail bridges through the bass strings ...

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    No

5. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I kind of planed to use a strip of shielding copper tape with conductive adhesive and apply it over the regular bridge ground wire and across under the mono rail bridge/saddle pieces, would be a simpler and more obvious solution, as far as I am concerned.

bpc likes this.
  6. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    That seems to be how it is done on the basses I have with mono rails.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I even applied a rectangular piece of shielding copper tape under my current stock bridge (where I also scraped off the black finish of the bridge down to the metal), over the bridge ground wire for a larger contact area to the bridge, aka better ground contact.

At least it seems to have reduced background noise slightly, though that might just be me imagining things.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    @NoiseNinja You could try the tape under the bridge wire. It then doesn't matter if the adhesive is conductive but should otherwise work just as well. You might need to line all the cavities to eliminate the noise. Remember to run wires to the shielding in the cavities and connect those to earth also.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I probably ought to, but honestly I am too lazy to shield all the cavities properly, but I did replace the thin unsheilded stock wires from my currently installed DiMarzio Model P with shielded wires, with the ground wires running all along around the insulated lead hot wires as a braided shield, and that did reduce noise substantially.

Back when I had the EMG Geezer Butler P pickup installed it was dead quiet, even without the bridge being grounded, cause those pickups are internally shielded and use shielded wires as well, with the ground running all along around the insulated lead hot wire as a braided shield.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    bpc likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021