1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any OCD folks own multiple versions of the same pedal? lol (Layout of my boards)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TonyP-, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Hello Folks,

I'm to the point right now that its beneficial to have multiple boards for a few reasons...
    To leave at gigs, something set up at home all the time, backup gear, & running between rehearsals and studios.

Right now I'm working on my 3 board (I know some of you are shaking your heads but IDGAF)
    Come geek with me.

All of start out the same Polytune Tuner -> MXR Bass Compressor -> 'Some kind of Darkglass' and they all end to some kind of DI preamp that has an EQ for ampless situations.

Board 1 my staple and fly out. - Polytune Tuner -> MXR Bass Compressor -> Darkglass B3K -> MXR Bass Envlolpe Filter -> MXR Octave Deluxe -> Pigtronic EP-2 Envelope Phaser -> Basswitch or A-Designs KGB

Board 2 - is a clone of Board 1 but bigger if I want to experiment with other pedals or use a Bass whammy of some kind. I can easily throw handful more on if I want.

Board 3 is my rock board and I'm the building - Polytune Tuner -> MXR Bass Compressor -> Darkglass Microtubes X -> Darkglass Vintage microtubes -> EBS IQ set up for to release real fast -> Basswitch or Nordstrands new pre (smaller board)

LouBass, gregmon79, armybass and 3 others like this.
  2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I’m on board (mind the pun) with this idea.

I personally have three boards, but have two to three pedals that I move from board to board (depending on the gig). I would love to have duplicates of a few of my pedals. Just so I can have permanent set ups (with slight variations- of each board)

The reasoning for this is pretty straight forward I think. I know what I want my tone to sound like but don’t always want a big board. I would love to have that same tone in different size set ups.

LouBass and TonyP- like this.
  3. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Here is basically Board 1 and 2 (board 1 is smaller) E6D5E19D-AC02-41A7-9190-4AB0C52FFE5E.png

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Board 3 is now this since I ordered a Q-Strip

4C893179-BA95-4EB1-9B38-C2ADD57DD452.png

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. How are you enjoying the Q Strip @TonyP- ? With all of the talk of HPFs and LPFs lately I feel I might be missing something?
    Best wishes,
    Brent

6. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Brent, I just ordered it and a good a friend of mine loves his and if it does not work for me (which I’m not suspecting) I will use the Nordstrand pre which is killer.

Board 3 is still in the works.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    At one point I did something like this. I had a large board (Pedaltrain Classic 2) for gigs and a much smaller board (Nano+) for taking to practice/sitting at home. I got into some boutique pedals and didn't really want to spend the money to double up the board, so I pieced out the smaller board and carry around the large one now. It's not too much of a hassle except that I'm in 3 projects right now so I have to pack and unpack it a couple times a week.

TonyP- likes this.
  8. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Luckily I’m not really into boutiques (unless you call Darkglass boutiques, but I work with them).

For me it’s like 5-6 days a week and I’m just over it lol...
    I got the last piece of board 2 from you. :thumbsup:

Board 1 at the main gig and travel
    Board 2 at home (get to play with new stuff).
    Board 3 is small and can use at rock gigs and/or leave at rehersal.

9. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Man, that is pretty much me...I know what my core compression sound, tuners and oversdrives I like.

10. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    I run into an MXR compressor->MBD 1->Nano POG (this replaced the MXR)->Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus->
    Mesa Subway DI->OmniCabSim. Adding in a TAFM next week when it gets here. Makes it easy to run things straight to FOH and sound pretty much the same everywhere.

I tried running less expensive versions of the same genres, but I couldn't quite get it to sound the way that I wanted it to be and it always bothered me. Definitely more than it should have, but I couldn't quite get over that I had the sound I wanted somewhere else and not at the practice space or wherever I was playing.

TonyP- likes this.
  11. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Dude that is a nice setup.

There are more exspensice compressors but I love those MXRs and I use the meter to adjust gain ect. I could try thr Darkglass but to be honest I just haven’t yet (if its not broken don’t try and fix it type of thing) I play hard and love that type of compression.

FutureTense likes this.
  12. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    What sound/effect are you going for with your MXR compressor? Do you mind sharing your settings? It’s been one of the harder pedals for me to figure out and I feel its impact is fairly subtle through much of its range.

Also have you considered a cam sim for the direct in setups or does your EQ already let you setup a cab sim of sorts?

13. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Hey @speedball3 in order here lol.
    1. I'm going for not a sound but eveness as much as possible. For those who thing a compressor takes away your dynamics I politely disagree...I can play soft and have subtle effect when the call for that, but most of the time its hard. So the effect is eveness (not a tubish type compression or a tone change so to speak).

2. Sure I will have that in the next post since I took a pic of it on my phone this morning.

3. Do you really want to open that box...lol The answer is not a short one and some TB-ers will not relate or understand my point of view on it. I love the DSM omnicabsim but for my theater stuff FOH wants me compressed sound and other filters and such are part of routines. I also did not have a spot for it on the board for the longest time until now. Which I'm sure I'm going to play around with it on board 2 because it will have the space.

For my own instrumental and rock stuff I have GK amps (either for recording and live) so I don't really need it persay.

If I was touring in a rock or my own gig and had no real backline then the DSM Omnicabsim would be a must. Great product, I was interviewed back in Dec 17 in Bass Musician Magazine and talk about that pedal specifically.

speedball3 likes this.
  14. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    no real board picture = no board.

speedball3 likes this.
  15. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    3168520F-28FA-4469-A0D5-0178193CCD7B.jpeg
    Messy in all it’s glory...

This board is “my personal” item on planes. ;)

bassbrad and speedball3 like this.
  16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    @speedball3

495E067D-3A22-4E44-9AE3-DD4DBB35DDD5.jpeg

Take into consideration I have a hard right hand technique, I’m running in series most of the time with an active pre...As a result I'm coming into the pedal hard...This is no passive fender J or P coming in...So my ratio is very high at 12:1. So this setting my not work for most (I'm suspecting) and yes its suposed to be subtle. I want my lows heard as much as much highs.

I also grab and release on the quicker side of things...As far as output I plug my bass into my rig, get an idea of volume and then match that volume though my board. Since everything is true bypass I add a little gain at my compressor.
    I love it....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    armybass and speedball3 like this.
  17. adamajah

adamajah

Oct 9, 2017
    I thought you were talking about owning multiple OCD's haha

fuzzspiral, TonyP- and speedball3 like this.
  18. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    @TonyP- Thanks for all the info and settings pic!! I’ve been using my MXR compressor for the same volume-evenness goal but have been using a more heavy handed approach with 20:1, slower release and faster attack. I’m still trying to train my “compressor ear” and sometimes I wonder if I’m fooling myself when I mess with that pedal :) I recently got a looper pedal though, so hopefully will be able to dig in and hear the subtleties... anyway appreciate the brain-dump and you sharing your approach! :thumbsup:

TonyP- likes this.
  19. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Temple Audio boards are there way next week...
    Almost all pedals in...
    I’m pretty stoked.

monsterthompson likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good thread, Tony! Not a bad idea to have a couple different boards. I do it a little different, though. I have no duplicates of the same pedals. I am way too cheap for that! Instead, I have different pedals that do similar functions and/or combine functions thst I use separates for on my main board. Like I do an Ampeg Scrambler and MXR Bass Distortion for dirt along with H and LPFs so they don't sound all tinny or woofy in the PA, but if all I need for a gig is some dirt, I'll bring a VT Deluxe because it's one pedal that does all of those things and has presets, plus I can throw a rechargeable battery in it and it'll last forever. Or instead of the OC2 and the Pitchfork, I'll bring my Tender Octaver because it's tiny.

But I really don't get too bothered by swapping out pedals now that I don't try to jam tons of pedals on my board anymore. God, sometimes I see pics of boards I've put together in the past and wonder what I was thinking!

armybass, alack, btmpancake and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021