Any of you bass people built strat copy's? Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 21, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I know this is a bass forum and as some of you know I dobuild basses but I decided to try my hand at a guitar. I am having problems. I just got it together for the first time today and the strings are fretting out in the upper registers. Even with the bridge saddles raised up. I made the neck pocket 5/8" deep, I have a Mightymite neck and a hipshot bridge I built the body, with this neck and bridge combo should it be different? I don't know if I have a bad neck or if I have other problems. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Tom
  2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I can't really help you any, but I must say that gui...gui...guitar ( :ninja: ) is beautiful.
  3. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    5/8" is the standard neck pocket depth for a Fender style neck. I would suspect either non(Fender)-standard bridge height dimensions or a truss with too much or too little relief. Truss rod relief can fool you as with too much bow you have a tendency to set a bridge too low to compensate for the high strings aroundthe 9th to 12th fret or so but still have fret out at around the 16th to 22nd frets.
    Too little relief(straight or reverse bow) can cause strings to be ok at the 1st to 5th fret or so but fret out at the middle frets.
    Start by setting up your truss rod with just a very slight amount of bow seen by looking down the fretboard edge from the headstock when the strings are at standard pitch. Then go bakk and try to set up your bridge heights.
    On a strat hardtail(non tremolo) bridge you can always mike a nice shim plate out of ebony, maple, walnut or rosewood to go under the bride if you do finally find the bridge just won't adjust high enough.
    I hope this all helps and is'nt too confusing. ;)
  4. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Sorry should have proof read that for spelling errors before I hit "submit".