Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any of you collect medieval weaponry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 25, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone here at talkbass collects swords,axes,daggers,armor,sheilds,etc...
    I myself collect a lot of swords and used to do sword fighting,not fencing, with bokkens and stuff like...
    it'd be really cool to know who else here collects that kinda stuff, besides bass playing. Pics would be cool, too.:D

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I personally do not but two of my friends at work do. One is a full time welder so from time to time he makes his own. Some of the stuff they get is pretty cool.

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've always wanted to, but I just don't have the money, nor could I justify spending so much on something non-functional. (Not that I don't blow my money on useless junk anyway, but... :rolleyes: :D )

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I have a pretty cool colletion of swords, daggers, and other weapons. Mostly Kit Rae designs but others as well.

5. what Kit Rae stuff? He makes such awesome designs!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only modern weaponry for me.

brad cook

7. yeah, like lightsabres ;)

If i had the money I would collect swords (probably mainly katanas), but considering that i don't i think i won't start collecting soon

8. check out www.budk.com ... they've got the best prices I've ever seen on swords.they have a William wallace claymore for 60 bucks.....and I don't smell scam!

9. I live in germany :meh: 'nuff said

besides a real katana costs $1000+

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I want one of those ones that pulls apart into two pieces and each has a blade that goes into the other one....but that's fully functional as a fighting weapon...like, unsharpened and extra hardened so 2 people could duel with each half. My friend has one that he might sell me if I come up with the cash, but I doubt it would work well in a duel, I think it is more of a display piece.

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>And the rest. I practice Iaido and can tell you that a decent shinken from a reputable Japanese smith will set you back probably at least 3 times that. You could most likely get a reasonable blade from a Japanese-trained, Chinese smith for around $1000US. My sensei has recently acquired a 17th century blade with no fittings for almost $70,000AUD. He can afford that type of money though :rolleyes:

12. museum replicas makes some katanas like old school with the ray skin, wooden handles and forged blades with genuine temper marks for like 600 bucks...... and it is of genuine quality.

13. btw I know of a Sensei 2 towns away from me who is really good friends with an old japanese blacksmith that provides his class with genuine katanas for 500 dollars that are of beautiful quality, both light, tough and lethal.

it really depends how\where you look for a real genuine katana........don't listen to that "it's over 1000 dollars to get one" if you look around there are great deals for true quality katanas.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'll just build my own lightsaber.

15. Killdar.......check www.budk.com as well..they have something similar to what you're talking about.

16. hahahaha.....isn't that what a Jedi is supposed to do with his\her first lightsaber.....build their own?

I sadly have a book that has a section where it tells you how to assemble one...should you have those high tech pieces avaliable.

17. I wish I did. A good katana should cut through a telephone pole.

18. lol! yea..the majority of katanas made today will either break at the handle or bend if you tried that........I hope you don't mean cut through a telephone pole in a single swipe!!!

I took a tree that had to be 22 inches in circumfrence with my 300 dollar katana with no bending of the blade or breaking of the handle....it isn't a very attractive katana but it is durable and light.

19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Sorry, guys. When you said a "real" katana i thought that's what you meant. That is a Nihonto made by an accredited (yes, you have to be certified to be swordsmith in Japan) Japanese smith in the traditional manner ie. by hand. The process of creating one of these weapons is long and strenuous, taking many hundreds of hours of painstaking work. There are at least 4 craftsmen involved: the smith, the polisher, the 'dresser' who makes the fittings and the guy who makes the 'saya' or scabbard.<BR>I'm not saying that any of the people you mention are not capable of producing a workable weapon that looks like a katana. Just don't fool yourself into believing that you are the owner of a genuine Nihonto. A pretty good analogy is to imagine the difference between a $100 J-bass copy and a Sadowsky.