Any of you ever sign on with CD Baby?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by miko, Jan 9, 2004.

1. or is it YoBaby?

you know -- the music "label" that promotes unsigned and underground bands for free?

i was reading a little snippet about the guy who started it, and it really does sound like a cool deal.

you get distribution and promotion of your cd and you make 4 bucks per CD sold, vs. 99 cent or less if you're with the majors.

from what i understand, there are a decent number of bands out there who've been able to make something of a living off of their music thanks to this company.

i don't know if you get royalties on top of sales [i think not], but it seems like there are a lot of happy bands thanks to cd baby.

excuse me if i don't have the name right; it's early yet.
  2. Undert0ad

Oct 28, 2003
    nr Philly
    I dunno about that, but I do know that the guy at is doing a similar thing but backwards: band pays a small fee up front and gets as an indie distributor and some promotion... but I think the artist gets more on the back end.
  3. Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    They set you up a page, with sound clips, and give you a link to use to get there for $35, then take $4 per cd sold.They take care of all orders, payments, and S&H. They can send you your money weekly, by the month, etc. I have had a really good luck with them, and recommend them. Check it out at
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    woah! that place sounds great! so wait, do they take $4 per cd, or do you get $4 per cd?
  5. Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    They take $4 per cd. You set your own prices...say you want $10 per cd for you, you would price it at $14. Since they let you send in "home made" cd's as long as they look good, we priced ours at $10, and made $6 per cd. Check out the site, its really a good deal, IMHO.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, cdbaby is great. We sold our first cd through them, they were regular payers and cool to deal with.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I set up an account with them for my old band. That band has been defunct for about three years and I'm still selling CD's. Thisas a part time midwest country band and we've sold CD's to people in New York, Europe, Brazil etc... I didn't really promote CD sales, just wanted a place to sell CD's on the internet for local fans that didn't want to shell out $10 drinking money at our bar gigs ;) If you really want to promote your CD I'd say this is the place to go. Derek Sivers runs it and has tons of great advice on how to promote your music.

Here is the link to my old bands CD Baby page

Looks like I'd better send them some more CD's