1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any of you guys bald?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by droppedurpocket, Jul 24, 2012.

1. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I decided to shave my head and I've come to realize there's more to it than 'just' shaving it. Do guys have any tips on how to shave your head? What about caring for it, moisturizing, after shave care etc..? I work outside and the sun is starting to kill my scalp, I use sunscreen though.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Admit it, you only posted this man card violation because of the other thread thats all about mancard violations amd how we dont give a damn, didnt you?

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep, baldy here. I just use regular shaving cream and razor. If I'm going to be outside without a hat (like working in the yard) I use 50 spf and apply it at least fifteen minutes before I head out. I reapply as needed during the day. Otherwise, I use after-sun aloe moisturizer on my dome daily. If find aloe-based products are less oily than most moisturizers.

Since you work outside instead of in an office, my best suggestion is to start wearing a hat. Either that or use 100+ spf and reapply frequently.

4. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Lmfao, you caught me. :bag: you crack me up Matt

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I shave my head pretty close to bald. I use a Wal clipper set and have it on the lowest setting. Its as short as a couple days beard stubble. I find this way better than using a razor because its faster and there is no pain from irritated skin.

When outside I always wear a hat.

6. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Less oily is what I'm looking for. I'm using spf 30 for now to get some color up there. I was PALE lol. I've been re applying on the hour so I don't burn. But 100 is where ill stay for the rest of summer.

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Haha! Its all good.
    I shave my head about every other week.
    I dont do anything special but buzz it to a #1 (I went 0 once when I was drinking and forget to put the clipper on).
    I use some special shampoo because I have a dry scalp, even before buzzing.

8. only below the belt

9. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    That's what I did originally, but I found I don't like the stubble. Same goes for my face, give me hair or shave it clean.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I shave every two weeks so the stubble is inevitable regardless. Shaving everyday would be a hassle.

11. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I usually go 0. Even when not drinking

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    This isn't exactly what I use in the morning after shaving, but it's similar.

13. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    My biggest issue right now is razor burn. I only shave right after a hot shower, I keep a hot wash cloth on my head until I'm ready. I use unscented shaving foam, no gels. Shave against the grain but with no pressure and still I get it. Mostly behind the ears.

14. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    That might be what I'm looking for

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Have you tried shaving before your shower?
    Thats what I do, but mostly to clean the hair bits off of me.
    Though, I feel my scalp appreciates the shampooing afterwards.

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Nature is taking my need for a razor away. As yet I've only been shaved as a direct result of Military interaction but the day is soon approaching when I will have to succumb to the inevitable and install my "solar powered love machine" look.

17. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    Going to do that right now. Just got home from work.

18. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I just died. My roomate is looking at me weird because I just walked in the door and collapsed with laughter hahaha

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Real men do a comb-over like Bill Murray in 'Kingpin'.:bag:

20. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

Jan 15, 2012
    Central WA
    If you suffer from razor burn, are you particularly fair-skinned? I am (red-head, when I actually had hair) and have had issues with that occasionally as well. Do not shave daily, whatever else you do. I could get away with every other day, since I also don't like the stubble. However, since I really don't like to shave, I usually manage twice per week. I usually will shave right after a hot shower, though have done it before at times. That doesn't seem to make a big difference on the razor burn, to me. As to moisturization afterwards, I still haven't found anything I'm entirely happy with. I have used Bald Guyz moisturizer, and it's the closest to my favorite that I've found so far.

Take all of the above as what works for me, though this is coming from a fair-skinned dude who goes shaved almost 6 months out of the year.