Any of you guys care about scratches?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterhiggins, Jun 3, 2005.

1. masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    My new Fender 800 Pro just scratched my new MIM fender P-bass (don't ask) and it sort of irritated me for a second. Then I realized I don't really care. It's actually a pretty darn big one. Does anyone else not give a rip about that kind of stuff? Just wondering? Does that sort of mentality negate a hardshell case? Perhaps this could be an interesting topic.

2. I like the look of a bass that has been played hard for decades, but I would never 'distress', or 'relic' a finish. Scratches from playing=cool, scratches from carelessness=not cool.
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i really hate scratches or wathever damage in my instruments,in my amps am careless but my basses are like new born in my hands. :cool:
  4. +1 to bassteban

There really aren't any (major/noticeable) scratches on my bass other than on the back when it has many very slight scratches from a button or buckle on clothing.

I think a big scatch across the front wouldn't bother me too much though. I'm the one keeping the bass, its not like I'm going to sell it anytime soon. If I do sell it, it will be for a very reduced price, not because of the scratch, but because I would only want to sell it to a close aspiring bassist friend/student. The scatch is a story, a battlescar, but not in the sense of showing it off, just there to be a story. And not a story of how it got scratched but of the days around the time when it did.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Honest wear is okay. Gouges because of last night's drunken shenanigans is not.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sure, I take all reasonable measures to protect them and keep 'em looking like new - and I generally succeed. I've got a 12 year-old instrument that, except for a few light surface scratches and a small ding in the finish from when it got knocked off its stand, is almost indistinguishable from brand new. And it's been played a lot...

Am I gonna grieve if one of 'em gets roughed up a little? 'Course not. On the other hand, there's no reason why an instrument has to suffer damage at all - if used in the course of normal playing...

8. I agree with you completelly

My basses (bar the TR which was second hand and damaged to hell) i got new, and HATE it when they are damaged

The EDA is fine, very minor scratchs on the plate on the back from belt rashing, and the finish has also gone glossy when my arm rests when im playing, im fine with that, i basically know its nearly unavoidable and means ive played her well :)

A few months back i left my btb out of its case, a glass took a dive off the table, landed on the the BTB, and shattered, there is only a very minor ding/crack in the btb, but it annoys the hell out of me because it shouldnt have happened :(
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    generally i never buy too scratched basses,maybe they hit too hard to the flor,i like old basses in good,near mint condition,the reseller value is highly :bassist:
  10. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I bought a new Stingray at a discount ($200.00 off) because it had a 1/4" chip on the lower, rear edge of the body

I personally think over-protecting an instrument from being scratched adds stress and sort of takes away some of the fun from using the instrument.

Anyway, that’s just the way I feel about it. A lot of people may find pleasure in having a mint instrument, and that’s fine too.
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If I were hopping from bass to bass and resale value was a concern at all I would feel differently, and I don't have anything against musicians that have an instrument turn-over rate higher than their local Taco Bell, it's whatever works for you. I may also play a bit more carefully on a bass that had a $5K AAAAAAAAAAAAAA bookmatched top on it, I can't really play that way so I can't see owning that kind of instrument(even though I am pretty proud of my wood!!), but once again, some people play with a light touch and are darn effective in doing it!! I play hard and my basses show it, I also take very good care not to abuse my instruments.
  12. If you're a gigging musician, your instruments are going to get nicked and scratched; it's inevitable. I take care of all my instruments but they all have some dings, scratches and wear. I try to avoid it and it annoys me (mildly) but it happens.
  13. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    If I scratch it, it okay. If someone else scratches it, I'm pissed.
  14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Of course, try to take care of your instruments. Bonnie Raite (spelling of her last name???) said it best when she said, "Respect it. It was once a tree." But damage will occur. It may be your fault and it might be someone else's. At least you are mature enough to not throw the bass aside for the unfortunate mishap.

I too have my own "kick myself in the @$$" war story. I was in a rush to get to work on morning and took out my cheaper beat up bass out of my double gig bag. In my haste, I shouldered the gig bag with my two year old scratchless Roscoe in it-- with the gig bag unzipped. The Roscoe fell four feet to the tile floor and landed face down. Everyone in the house stopped dead-- even my two dogs didn't move. I was lucky. The headstock has a small indentation in the finish and I damaged the mid control. The bass still plays and sounds great, but I can only get one of the two mid controls to work. As it turns out, it's OK because I'm going to have Keith Roscoe change out the preamp for the Demeter preamp. I'll ask him to touch up the ding in the headstock too.

I was really upset, because I didn't know how bad the damage was until that night. I had gone to a conference after work, checked in to my hotel room, and plugged in the bass to my Pandora's Box to find out it played just fine. I wasn't so upset after that.

But it was still dopey on my part. At least it wasn't like the thread I saw about 2-3 years ago, when some guy ran over his MTD with his car. Ouch!
  15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Very true.
  16. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada

like Simball said, if I was the one who scratched it, I'm not too angry. But if guitarest has my bass in his hands for 20 seconds and it get's a gouge right beside the bridge, i'll be pissed.

But scratches provide personality IMO
  17. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Just the 1st one really pisses me off. Especially if I didn't do it.
    "Factory" scratches are actually kind of cool in my book. Scratches that were made while the bass was being made are kind of neat. Those are usually found on the neck. Maybe I'm just weird ?
  18. My bass is a scratch master. Im a very aggresive player, my bass has been through war. Plus I carved it out of the belly of a Minotaur.
  19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    A major scratch or ding is OK as long as there is a hilarious anecdote to go with it. So what happened? Did the 800 Pro get too close to the bass or was it the other way around? :eyebrow: :eek: :crying:
  20. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    on my old pbass, my buddies stack fell over on to it (dont know how, becuse there was NO ONE in his jam room) but it caused a buch of scratches and some finsh chipping, but it was all good because i was trying to self relic it anyway