Any of you guys double (or triple) on low brass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Couvy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Couvy

Couvy Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've been thinking about picking up a low brass instrument, thought it could open up some doors for me. Didn't know if any of you did the same thing and if this was a good idea. I can't find any definitive info on range, but it looks like a Euphonium might just fit the price/size/sound compromise if I can find a decent one used. I just hope they can still get down in my regular bass range (I'd love to play it on a country gig as a joke).
  2. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I played tuba on a couple band concerts in college, but I don't own one. Those things can go LOW!!!
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I used to, can no longer physically play one but would if I could.

Tuba is a great instrument, used to blow the hell out of a beautiful four valve Miraphone back in the day. Goferit!
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That would be a neat trick Bob. BTW, have you heard the Cleveland Clinic is looking for a candidate for another laryngeal transplant?

5. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I play and teach Tuba, Euphonium and Trombone. I really think that the euphonium would be to high for replicating the bass part, you would need a tuba.

the euphonium written range looks similar to the bass, but remember that the bass transposes down an octave.
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'd never go for that, anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life and all the complications they bring. If I can't get my OEM parts back, fugetaboudit. ;)
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't but my teacher plays: DB, BG, Tuba, Euphonium, Trombone, and i think a little banjo and trumpet. I believe he was marine band on trombone. That's all
  8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tuba is where it's at. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from playing the lowest note in the band or orchestra. I can play one semitone below a 5 string bass's low B, that note being the pedal tone of my tuba. Tuba is my main instrument, electric bass second, double is third.

For country as you said, you will definitely need a tuba. A euphonium will not cover it, it just can't go low enough. Tuba is the low end standard in polka and waltzes, and sounds pretty good in country as well.
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Funny you should mention country...

sorry about the poor quality, I had to really compress it to get it on the board.
  10. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Pshh to brass. I prefer the low clarinets. I've played bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet since 6th grade... Never have liked brass too much. The low clarinets are SO much more beautiful sounding than any brass I've ever heard.
  11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Don't make me destroy you.
  12. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Actaully, I played Bass Trombone, wonderful instrument, made by one of the best in Los Angeles, now in an wind instrument museum in Southern California. Gotta a lot of practice reading off (below) the staff...
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hell yeah! DB just doesn't work in a second line.
  14. couvy"

anyone interested in tuba should DEFINITELY listen to Howard Johnson's tuba quartet "Gravity".

I know, I know, a "tuba quartet" sounds like a novelty act. It's decidedly not. Check out

The compressed MP3 samplers on Amazon don't do it justice. These folks make really beautiful noises in the lower registers and also make lovely sounds pushing the high end. And they can really play their a**es off on these horns. Not to mention great charts by HJ and a great rhythm section. The Gravity CD I own is really a lovely piece of work and gets plenty of play at my house. How these players can push around that X-meter-long [how many, Nick Gann?] column of air so adoitly boggles the mind!
  15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tuba quartets are awesome! I think everyone should go out and get a CD (it should be at some instrument/brass/lowbrass shops) called "TUBA! A SIX TUBA MUSICAL ROMP" It is insane. Go check around for it, it is an awesome CD.

Hmm... I don't know how many meters it is, I'll find that out. But yes, it takes a LOT of air.
  16. Gee... I used play the Bass Trombone also (and for 8 yrs in the SoCal big band scene!).

Before that: Euphonium, and some Tuba.
  17. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Tuba=17 feet of tubing. Meters I dunno about.
  18. bassdude62

Feb 8, 2004
    trombone, baritone horn, euphonium in school. otherwise i probably never would have learned to read music.
  19. ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    my training as an undergrad was on the french horn. there are actually several pros who double on upright and horn if you can believe it. Willie Ruff, Doug Hill and Gunther Schuller just to name three. i used to play in the trombone section of the college big band with my horn. i doubled the bass bone part so he could take stuff down an octave. i cant play as low as a tuba but i can play a pedal Bb!
  20. I play trombone. I like it because of all the cool sounds you can do with the sliding and stuff. It's relatively easy to learn as well, once you get down the embochure.