1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any of you guys ever tried an 8 string guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whippet, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I know that you can tune it any way you like,

and was wondering if any of you ever tried playing

an 8 string guitar like a bass?

BEADGBEA
    BEADGCFBflat

etc etc etc

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. I have & they do not go higher (for standard tuning), they still end on a high E.
    standard = F#BEADGBE

The alternate tuning is BEADGBEA.

The first mass-produced 8-string is a RG made by Ibanez:

latest?cb=20100507164547.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Whippet likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Standard tuning on an 8 string guitar normally starts at the F# two half steps above open E on a bass. Are you talking about tuning it to the B higher or lower than that?

It would be very difficult to find a string that could be tuned to the A above the normal high E of a guitar on a normal scale length 8 string without breaking. That's why nobody does it.

el_Bajo_Verde and Whippet like this.
  4. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I see. So high E above the A is not physically impossible but would break.

If you start with the Low F#, is it possible to play this as a bass guitar with some amount of practice?
    Or is the 7 string a better option for that? As in F# B E A D G B or possibly C instead of the high B?

5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Did you play it as a bass or a 8string guitar?

How was it?

gebass6 likes this.
  6. Just mucking around with it in a pawn shop, so a little of both.
    It was heavy!@
    but heavy for a guitar, just normal for a bass

7. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    You know the people on youtube talk about a wide neck but they've never played a 6 string bass guitar. Obviously one plays more notes on a guitar but as you mentioned, compared to a bass, a guitar weighs nothing.

gebass6 likes this.
  8. My primary player is less than 6-3/4 lbs, but I have owned lighter ones.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Only 8 string guitar I've played is this - tuned C6:

10277_WP_20150305_023_1.

Ben B, Matt R, Bunk McNulty and 3 others like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    It totally depends on what you want to do with it.
    These axes are usually built for metal. If you want to heavily modify your signal with a big pedalboard, things could work. If you want to plug it straight into a clean bass amp and play bass, not so much.

Whippet likes this.
  11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    that is a lap guitar right? how is it tuned?

12. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I see. I was thinking more of playing it clean. Too bad.....

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Maybe give it a try when you're in a shop that carries 8 string guitars. IMO the fat strings lack tenstion and the sustain is not that good - but I'm not good at playing guitar.

Whippet likes this.
  14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Kinda like - it’s a lap steel with legs - but no pedals. Sometimes called a straight steel.

Many different tuning but the C6 is pretty common: A-C-E-G-A-C-E-G

Whippet likes this.
  15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A above high E is not possible with current string technology unless you use an even shorter scale length.
    The high E in a normal guitar set is between .011 and .008. The thinnest guitar string I know of is .007.
    That string breaks if you try to tune it a fourth higher than standard high E.
    On top of that, 8 strings are often longer scale than regular guitars, which would increase string tension even more at any given pitch and gauge combination.

What are you hoping to gain by playing bass parts on a guitar scale length instrument?

16. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I think that's kinda what Animals as Leaders do(es?): two guitars tuned hella low, trading back and forth to fill the basslines, sometimes could with octavers.

Whippet and Element Zero like this.
  17. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Animals As Leaders consists of two 8 string guitarists tuned EBEADGbe and a drummer. The lowest E is an E1, which is the same E found on a standard tuned 4 string bass guitar, of course.

Element Zero, Whippet and EricssonB like this.
  18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

I somewhat disagree with the concept of a guitar that has such a low range. You're infringing upon MY domain and now, there are bands that think it's perfectly ok to not have a bass player (Stevie Wonder left hand keyboard bass is an exemption).

Whippet likes this.
  19. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    My guitarist uses one in F#. Not that he uses the F much.

Whippet likes this.
  20. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Both of my guitarists use 8-strings, tuned an octave below drop D (DADGCFAD). I tune to the ADGCF below theirs but sonically occupy more of a low-midrange and we share the really low end. It's a little gimmicky but I think we sound pretty good (SHAMELESS PLUG: LINK IN SIGNATURE)