Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any of you guys heard of 'Freddy and the dreamers'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 19, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hiya, sorry if the title patronizes you lot as I'm aware that they were pretty big at one point.

The reason I ask is that my brother just bought a ywinge malmsteen sig' fender 2nd hand, and when he got to the sellers house to test it, it turned out that it's owner is the guitarist from freddy and the dreamers! :eek:

He's yet to run it through his main amp as its getting on now and the folks are asleep, but I'm posotive it'll sound like a legend!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh.

Freddy & The Dreamers were early 60s IIRC. Their biggest hit was "You Were Made For Me" (it was on a TV commercial a while ago, I forget what for). You may have seen them on TOTP2 or whatever - the guy had glasses & he used to jump around like a lunatic on stage.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    From this geezers failing memory, wasn't another of their hits, "I'm telling you now"? That ax has got some mojo for sure.

4. Embarassing fact: I remember this group and know
    how to do the "Freddie."

Freddie and the Dreamers were part of the original
    "British Invasion" riding the coat tails of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, et.al.
    Along with 1964's "I'm Telling You Now,"
    their other 'big hit' was a silly dance turn called
    "Do the Freddie."

Freddie & the Dreamers were the clown princes of the 60s' beat-scene, mixing music with comedy. They played their music for laughs, eschewing the earnest stance of other contemporary combo's. Yet comic capers and lightweight lyrics couldn't disguise an innate pop sensibility.

Lead singer Freddie Garrity started on the path to fame playing in skiffle groups in the late 50s, switching to rock & roll in the early 60s. Their debut release in Britain was a cover of R'n'B favourite If You Gotta Make A Fool Out Somebody (by James Ray and Maxine Brown) and it was a huge hit.

Subsequent releases were tailored to the quintet's effervescent image, such as I'm Telling You Now and You Were Made For Me, which reached the UK top 3. They had further hits in 1964 with Over You, I Love You Baby, Just For You and I Understand.

But just as their appeal began to wane in the UK, new opportunities opened across the water. After the Beatles smashed the American market wide open, Freddie & the Dreamers formed part of the British Invasion that converged Stateside to capitalise on the path-breaking success of the Fab Four.

Their two biggest U.S. successes were 1965's chart-topping I'm Telling You and Do the Freddie which reached 21.

The group broke up at the end of the 60s, but Freddie and assorted cohorts often appear for revival concerts both home and abroad.

Manchester rock family tree

Derek Quinn once played in a group called the Fourtones with the Hollies' Allan Clarke and Graham Nash, and Godley and Cr×_ (later of 10cc) helped produce the Dreamers' Susan's Tuba at Stockport's Strawberry studios in 1969.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good lord. A Freddie aficionado.

6. I saw them as part of a package tour that, from memory, included Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Dave Clarke Five, and Sandie Shaw. That was about 1965 I think. That song "If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody" was actually pretty good, IMO.