Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any of you guys into Quads or Sand Rails?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    So, I ditched school friday (with parental consent) to help my aunt and uncle get the RV and quads ready for a weekend out at Dumont...

Dumont iabout 10 square miles of sand dunes out in the Mojave desert... 80mi from Las Vegas. And it kicks ass.

Its a 6 hour drive from here... My aunt and uncle left thursday night with my cousin, then my sister, her boyfriend, and myself took their truck down there friday afternoon.

The tallest dune is probably 700 feet tall... and really steep.

It rained friday, so the sand sucked on saturday. Ruts couldn't get blown out cause the sand was wet, so whenever some gut went across a dune in a sand rail, you knew that section would be nice and rough.

I had never been duning before, so saturday was a rough day for me. There are tons of burms and such along the dunes that you gotta use to navigate around, and even though everything in you is telling you not to, you DO NOT let off that gas. In fact, just don't leave 2nd gear.

I, being the genius that i am, was spending a lot of time in 4th, cause I was used to riding my 125cc Dirtbike on dirt hills around the outskirts here, and they don't require a lot of RPM's.

So, i'd bog out... start rolling straight down this steep ass hill... get to the bottom, restart, climb it, go to the next burm, repeat.

It was not a good day.

Today, the sand was nice and dry. The wind was blowing. Sand was coming off the tops of the dunes. Everyone was watching the drag races. Screw that, im gonna go use the sand while its nice.

Stuff I COULD NOT do the day before, I had no trouble doing. When the sand is dry, you get going on a burm and you just start sliding around it, and no one leaves ruts cause the sand just slides away from your tires like mini-avalanches.

There must have been more than 2000 RV's/5th wheels, easily more than 10k people.

Some guys had sand rails with supercharges v-8's running 112 octane. (Yes, Nick... 112 octane.)

(pic of dumont attatched

There is a pic of where we were, I'm not sure exactly where that hill was... It may be the backside of the hill we were at the base of where our campsite was.

[​IMG]

For those who didn't know, thats a sand rail. They will climb anything... faster than anything. Its insane. I want one. (I need $25k and a mopar engine :p)

I spent the whole weekend on a Yamaha Raptor... 660cc. Good stuff. I screwed the clutch, but my uncle is happy cause now he can get a nice racing clutch and not have to listen to the wife complain :p

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Resize is your friend, Money. I know you thought you didn't have any but believe me...resize is your friend. :smug:

I ride quads but more for utility than for fun and I've never seen any sand dunes around here. I want a dirt bike though.

brad cook

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Fine... i resized it... happy now?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only if that resize comes with chocolate pie.

brad cook

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Ya, its in the toilet.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Before I came to college I rode quads and dirt-dragged dirtbikes (CR500!) and did a lot of trail riding. I've always wanted to go in a desert and ride dunes, but being from PA, found it quite impossible :p. Perhaps once I graduate I'll be able to. Sounds like ya had fun though :)

Ray

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    *Runs off to check toilet for chocolate pie*

brad cook

8. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    One of my friends is building one of those right now! I can't wait until he's done so I can have the shack scared out of me riding in it! Woo hoo!