1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any of you guys opted for a MM Cutlass over a Fender Precision???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Apr 4, 2018.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Not too long ago I found a great deal on a Music Man Caprice at Guitar Center. There were several Fenders and I played it back-to-back against a Fender Flea Jazz, and a couple of American Professional and American Elite Jazz and Precisions.

The Caprice felt so much nice and the string spacing made it easier to play IMHO. So I went ahead and bought the Music Man and I still really dig it. However, it would be great to have a regular old Fender P Bass lying around.

I'm tempted to get a Cutlass instead because of the great experience I've had with the Caprice.

What do you guys think? If you had the choice would you get the Pbass or the Cutlass?

Those of you who have both... which do you prefer???

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I own a Caprice. ( my favorite bass ever !!)
    When I bought it, I owned a nice Sire V7 Vintage 4 string Jazz . I also owned my CV60’s P .
    My intention was to buy an American Standard Pand sell my CV60’P.

After I encountered both the Cutlass and Caprice , I sold my Sire V7 Vintage and bought the Caprice and kept my CV60’s P.

The Caprice does everything my Sire Jazz bass and an American Standard P could do.

I did struggle with buying the Caprice or the Cutlass. The Cutlass lost because to my ears it doesn’t sound anything like a Fender P. The tone is way less organic .Its a more aggressive tone . It might be tamed some with flats but it still isn’t Fender tone. Those large pole pieces make a difference. It sounds more like smaller Stingray pickup in the Pbass position .
    If I played harder music I would own a Cutlass. As it stands , my Caprice has killed my gas for an American P or J. I’m trying to figure out how to get myself a 2nd Caprice .

If you want Fender P bass tones , get a Fender P. The Cutlass might look the part , but I don’t think it’s close enough.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    IMHO nothing can compare with an old typical Fender P, you have high end versions with killer tops and with different pre amps , pickups and all the bells and whistles and it is great, but a good old passive Fender P is perfect.