Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any of YOU play fretless in heavy music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    apart from mudvayne because i dont wanna know famous people, how many of you people actually play fretless in heavy bands? is it good enough to carry through or should i stay fretted?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Back in the late 80's while playing with a Metal band, I would use a fretless on a few songs during a set. I would use the fretless on slower power ballads. It would sound good for slides and upper register runs/fills. On faster more aggressive tunes, I found that my playing was not accurate enough on the fretless. Most songs I would play on a fretted.

3. When I played in a metal band, I used a fretless for everything - hard driving songs, slow ballads, riff-tastic numbers. Hell, I'm doing it again on Friday.

I don't see any reason why I shouldn't.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :raises hand:

I play in a prog metal type band, and Im using my fretless 7 string about 45% of the time... It's slowly seeing an increase in usage..

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Just what I wanted to hear :) mwuhaha i'm after a thumb five fretless, see and i'm tryin to pursuade my dad into gettin me one :p

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do you now or have you ever played a fretless?? It's a totally different animal.. Might wanna try something a little less expensive before going the Warwick route.

Good luck!!

:)

7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    QUOTE:From Parrott:When I played in a metal band, I used a fretless for everything - hard driving songs, slow ballads, riff-tastic numbers. Hell, I'm doing it again on Friday.

I don't see any reason why I shouldn't.

Could not have said it better myself, I use the P-Bass,The jazz is great for Jaco stuff,but the P-Bass has the balls to play Metal. Here is what I play in my Hard rock & metal band.1978 fender P-Bass fretless with active boost circut.
    [​IMG]

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i used to have one but sold it cuz i hated it, not the lack of frets, just the bass, but i'v almost finished changin my vintage five into a fretless so if i get used to it on that i should be ok. i pay a rockbass now and love it so im guessin i'll love a warwcik even more !!

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Cool..

I'm guessing a Conklin hollowbody fretless 7 will be somewhere in my future!!

Maybe a black sparkle job with gold hardware!!

:p

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    heh coolies! i'm goin fora natural wood i think, my other one is blue :) mm yummy

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bolt-on or neck through?? Go for the NT if you can swing it!!

12. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    never really seen what difference it makes :S can u shed any light?

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The NT version has better wood.. I think they're still made of bubinga where as the bolts are made of ovangkol... Also the NTs have a 3 band preamp where the bolts only have 2 band.. Everything Ive heard about NTs is better..

Richer, ballsier, growlier, punchier...

everything...

14. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    and let me guess? more expensive? :p

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep....

16. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Anywhere I can hear your music online Progzilla?

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have some samples of stuff I've written here:

http://www.geocities.com/dreamland_35760

Click on the "Sounds" link.. I'm trying to get another (bigger) website that I can get entire pieces up. Let me know what you think.

18. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Ryan from Mudvayne doesn't use fretless basses, its more his technique.

19. you just cant get the same sound out of a fretless that you can out of a fretted with slap..