Any of you play short-scale basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 18, 2005.

1. iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a short-scale bass from Landing

I've only really played guitat and figure the cross over would be easier

any of you prefer short scale?

are there any major drawbacks to a short or medium scale?

you guys recommend a 30 or 32 scale, it going for a shorter neck?

2. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    I like my short scales. I have a short scale Streamer and a Mustang bass. They tend to get a fatter sound than my 34" scale basses. If you're moving from guitar to bass, a short scale would make a nice transition.
  3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I love short scales. I have a Harmony P-bass copy with a 30" scale - my favorite scale length.

I dislike standard 34" scale basses. Although I can play them, It's just barely over my comfort level for stretching in the lower positions, so the custom basses I'm getting will both have 33" scales.
  4. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I own an old 1967 Gibson Eb-o, the scle is about 30'
    I'd have to say out of all my basses, my Gibson feels the most comfortable. The short scale neck does add alot of easier playability, and you will find that you'll be able to play much faster than on say even a 34' scale neck. But also be forewarned, that a short scale neck will give you a MUCH beefier sound somtimes (especially my Gibson, alot of people HATE the huge bass sound and think that there is not enough mid to make it sound decent), but as long as the electronics are good, then a short scale bass will be a dream come true.
  5. iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
  6. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
  7. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I always thought it would be cool. One of the reasons I don't move around much when playing is partly because of the precision it takes to play bass over playing power chords or whatever on guitar and also the size and weight.
  8. iDavid

Apr 22, 2005

great minds think a like :)
  9. I like short scale basses and have decided that if I am ever going to become any kind of virtuoso as a soloist that 30" is going to be my best shot tool wise.

I've even gone to the extent of having a custom six string short scale built for me. The jury will be out until it's done how its low B will sound but I will always have the option of EADGCF tuning so no ultimate fear.

I agree that with modern electronics/pickups a great sounding shortie is attainable-especially with a four string bass. Most of the midrange should be there with modern electronics. The shorter strings will sound "fatter" and be more flexible (allowing string bending, etc.) also easier chording. Keep in mind that hexagonally cored strings and maybe stainless roundwound strings will tighten up the feel and sound a bit.

Curious about the three pickup setting on your proposed purchase.
    I'm thinking jazz style or dual coils would suit a short scale best.
    I've owned a couple with P bass style pickups and they were too muddy for my taste. on a short scale. Harder body woods like ash or hard maple will help a short scale to cut through the mix/band better in my opinion. EBO (Gibson) style pickups are muddy sounding and just about ALL bass. If you're coming from guitar world you might not like that sound.

I am principally a recording session bassist and need to cut through and have a lot of tonal choices so I chose double coils and 18volt EQ for cutting/flexibility for my upcoming short scale.

Enjoy your new bass. Can't wait to see how mine will sound.
  10. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I like short scale basses and have decided that if I am ever going to become any kind of virtuoso as a soloist that 30" is going to be my best shot tool wise.

Kalo: You have made a wise decision and that is the same reason why I chose a short length scale as well....I can play 34 inch, but I much prefer short....

I hopefully will get my Landing 2 bass in next week...I can't wait...Long live short scale basses :hyper:
  11. iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm leaning towards the L1 which has the HB pick-ups similar to the Steinberger :cool:

After describing what I was looking for Jimmy recommended the L1. On the other hand, I like the idea of switching quicky between the three pick-ups on the L32 or L3

Ash body

color? :eyebrow:

12. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Blue is a cool color...There is one on Jimmy's site...

Now if I ever had another one built for me I might request pink since I am a girl :)

13. iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm thinking of orange, because.... I guess cuz I like it

I like purple, but it looks too heavy metal on a guitar :bassist:

maybe a vintage yellow :confused:

or pink :eyebrow:

actually pink could be very cool :hyper:
  14. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    GO FOR THE PINK :hyper: