1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any of you play the "Barney Miller" intro?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm sure a lot of us older dudes have played it at one time or another. :p

3. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009

Pretty sweet line, isn't it? I used to watch that show with my uncle, back during its original run on TV, and I always loved the theme song. Never cared for the show too much.

The tabs for the bass line are out there on the 'net. I think I'm gonna tackle it.

4. Its a great bass line. I think I figured it out doodling around once. That one and the Night Court theme always get people (at least people over 35 to 40 years old).

As far as the lick itself, its pretty easy. Essentially just walks up an E mixolydian (with the flat 3 and 5 in there) and then comes back down. 10 mins doodling around on that scale and you'll figure it out.

5. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I get a lot of smiles at soundchecks with that one!

6. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I say you should work the whole theme song into your set list.

7. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    What a great bass song that was, is or what ever. Definetly a subconscious reason I play bass.:bassist:

8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's a must. Just last week on a trio gig we got a request for it, and received a $10 tip.

Here's a little challenge for your open-stringers...play it in Eb. The last time I played the tune "for real," it had been arranged for the benefit of the horn players, not the cat on bass. :D

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    GREAT THREAD!!!

I would rather play speedball metal songs and have plenty of them on my channel, BUT no barney miller theme for me, but on my youtube channel I have done:

patty duke show/oscarmeyer/3 stooges/ironman cartoon/looneytunes/supermario/southpark/bob newhart/casper/bewitched/flinstones/TEAM America/greatestAmericanHero/laverne+shirley/happyDays/loveAmericanStyle/greenAcres/Munsters/spiderman/jetsons/speedRacer/wonderWoman/TheElectricCompany....

I guess I need to just do BarneyMiller, and add it to the list of TV+cartoon themes..:D:D

look thru the first 3 pages to find the ones I listed above if your curious to see my interpretations of all those themes....

10. jaybass58

jaybass58

Mar 31, 2009
    chicago
    every one (my age )gets a kick out of it when I do it...the keyboard themes to seinfeld also get a laugh...

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    That's the first bass line I ever learned! I love it.

Aj

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I do it alot. I don't know why the Seinfeld line is so popular. It's not even a bass guitar.:confused:

13. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I can't stand the Seinfeld thing. I won't do it. :D Barney Miller? Youbetcha! Night Court? Oh yeah. Even Axel F...another keyboard line. But no Seinfeld. :)

14. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    I remember learning that bass line in my early teens when I first started playing...I ran out into the living room w/ my bass and my little practice amp to show my parents and they both immediately recognized it. About a week later, my dad came home w/ a Fender Bassman 70 and a 2x15 for me! :hyper: That was a pretty cool way for him to show his support :)

15. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Real 70's. Nice tone - gotta be a P, with flats of course.

A band I was in a long time ago used the Green Acres theme song as our go-on-break song. Crazy good times.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I always thought it was cool, but never attempted it on the bass.

A couple of months ago, I decided to try and play it from memory, not having seen the show or heard the song in years. After about 5 minutes or so, I thought I had it, so I googled it. And I was right, except for one or two parts after the guitar starts. Oh, and that is a killer guitar solo too.

Same thing happened about a year ago at a jam. One of my friends was trying to play the bass intro to Sweet child o' mine and doing pretty poorly.

Not having heard the song in years, other than his three or four attempts, and never having tried it myself, I nailed it.

Having a good ear, a good memory, and knowing your way around the neck makes a lot of things possible.:bassist:

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yeah, that's the version I did, not the one posted above. The guitar solo is much better in this version too.

I think that there are at least 3 versions. They 'updated' the song every couple of seasons, IIRC. This version is my favorite, probably because I saw the episodes where it is featured most when I was growing up.