Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any one ever try one of these Jay Turser basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrx41862, May 15, 2002.

1. Hi,

I am constantly checking ebay for a deal. I am thinking of going the way of the five string but not sure yet. I see these basses "Jay Turser" 5 strings..."buy it now" at $199.00.
    Anyone ever try one of these, I don't know of a store near me that stocks them. Is it a decent bass to start learning 5 string technique on? I'd rather learn on a cheapy then later buy a 5 string cirrus. Any comments appreciated.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you've been playing 4 for a while, you won't need to get a cheap 5 string to start on. if you want to play 5 string, you'll be able to in no time. buy what you want.

plus, a used jay turser is worth about 20 bucks.

3. Cool thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to know if anyone played them and what they thought.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yeah I've played a Jay Turser for about five seconds or so then I couldn't take much more of it. You're best bet would be to avoid these basses at all cost.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm with Warwick5s on this one. The transition from four to five isn't really that big of a deal for most people... Don't sell yourself short and get a cheap 5er and not like it because its of less quality... not that Jay turser makes crappy instruments... they just aren't up to par with my taste...

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    my buddy in nc plays turser guitars, and they're okay to learn on i suppose, the guitar doesn't sound bad through a marshall.

basses, though, are a whole 'nother matter entirely. if you're a new player, and on a limited budget, sure. if you've been playing awhile, shop around, you can get a better five string at little more than that buy it now deal. just shop around.