Any one got a burns bison?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgslaughter, May 29, 2005.

1. pgslaughter

May 16, 2005
    Ive been looking for an inexpensive bass that will last a while and it has led me to the burns bison. No shop around me will carry burns so i have no way of trying it so I was hoping some people could help me with a description of its neck and sound. From the pictures it seems to be a pretty slim and fast neck, but ill let you tell me that, I will be gracious for any help what so ever.

2. hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Hey what type of music do you play? I use my Bison for Indie/Rock and must say using the "split-sound" I can get some great tones out of it. The neck is a little wider than my fender-J and is pretty quick. The build quality seems to be better than my Jazz too. Just a warning on it though, it is pretty heavy and is longer than most basses, on a small stage I have almost taken my guitarists head on more than one occasion. If you looking for a mid-range guitar then choose this over and Japanese or Mexican fender. Id highly recommend it as would most 1960's session bassist.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The one I played seemed very neck heavy due to the oversized headstock. Like the other poster said these basses are really heavy and not my cup of tea. If weight or neck-dive is an issue I would stear clear of them. There are lots of other choices available in your price range maybe extend your search a bit more.
  4. wombatboter

Apr 17, 2007
    I have one and it is from 1962 and it sounds amazing...
    Just flatwound strings but it sounds funky but mellow at the same time..Studio-engineers have given me compliments on the sound and it's the warmest sounding bass I have ever owned without being too muddy...