Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any one got info on these

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    just what's been posted here before......as well as other places.
    I seem to remember people saying that they are kinda cheeze, as far as being light/breakable .....aka quality.
    seems like a great design/idea because you can use whatever string spacing you desire, but just lookin at 'em, the quality looks cheese to me. I think HIpshot might sell some better ones........more money of course.

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    ETS sells something similar. I'm actually about to buy one of their MKIII bridges. They don't have the price list at their site, but PM me and I can get you a PDF version of it through email. The bridges seem to be really high quality from what I can tell. I know a few higher end basses use their hardware, and a few people here have had good luck with them. Their single string bridges are 11.95 euros, which is around $15 US I think. Just shoot me a PM with your email and I will send the PDF right over.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    These are El Cheapo Copies of the ABM singlebridges (somehow, the name Behringer appears in the associations...steal a design and make them in Chinese slaveries).

ABM singles are great. Are the copies?

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    keep in mind if you use an independant bridge you have to ground each bridge piece. That can be a pain but I am a huge fan of the indi system. If your going to do it, do it right and go with hipshot.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That is, if you decide to ground the bridge.

7. I have built a couple of basses lately without grounding the bridge (both passive and active). I have decided not to ground the bridge ever. Just hearing about what COULD happen is enough of a reason for me, but I have found that with correct shielding and grounding, you can get as silent as if you had a bridge ground.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've checked out some of the copies up close compared to the AMBs. The biggest noticable difference is weight. The AMBs are heavier and more solid. The cheapo copies are also cast, not machined. They are not as precise for lack of a better term.

Im of the opinion, you get what you pay for.

9. thanks for ur help guys can any one post links to different makes of these i know abm makes them but i emailed them a bunch about price and shipping but never got any thing back.
    i also looked at hipshots iam just trying to look for the cheapist price.

i got a cool idea how to ground them with out haveing a wire going to each one. its kinda a take off of the way jazz basses use to be. i would just take a 1 inch wide strip of the copper shielding and have it lay under all the bridges.

i plan on makaing a 7 string bass and would love to have this style of bridge.

i think i mite buy one from that site and just copy it and make them out of brass.(any ideas for othere metals to use)
    or i mite just make up my own version.
    i work in a machine shop and they guy i work under is pretty cool. he rents a shop during the night and he said if i help out hell make me stuff. hes allready gonna give me a tattoo gun he has left over from his last batch he made.

10. if your trying to make a bass with a lot of strings and wide spacing these kidns of bridges(not this particular one though) will work great but dont ground to the bridge... all it takes is one bad time and you wont be grounding to the bridge anymore, cuz you wont be arownd to do it

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    why wouldn't you ground them? I thought you had too.

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It is standard practice to ground the bridge, but it is a misconception that it is necessary. If you ground the bridge, then when you touch the strings, you are grounding your body. Your body then acts as an RF shield over the back of the instrument, and if your bass is prone to picking up RF, the RF noise will be reduced.

The problem is, if there's ever an electrical fault in your equipment, and the instrument ground is no longer zero volts, then you will be at this raised voltage. And if you touch something else that's properly grounded, current will flow from your faulty ground, through you, to the good ground. Furthermore, if your equipment is AOK, but some other piece is malfunctioning, then the current will flow from the bad equipment through you to the ground of your equipment. What one often hears about is having your lips fried when there's a fault on the PA and you first touch the mic. It can also happen if your guitarist's rig has a fault, and you two touch- even just touch the tuners. Musicians have died this way. I've gotten a few good buzzes this way, but luckily no permanent damage (I think ;)). Not to mention that it is possible (how likely, I'm not sure) for a bad tube amp to raise the ground to several hundred volts.

If your instrument is well shielded, or you have humbucking pickups, or both, there is simply no reason to offer you body as a shield. There's too much to lose.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ABM doesn't answer e-mail. At least, so it seems.
    ABM answers telephone calls. And any questions you may have. They do prefer orders to queries, though...

In the US, you can easily get ABM parts from Allparts. And I suppose you can get a few answers as well.

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC