Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one have opinions on the MegoGoliath?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveDude, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Looking into getting one of these. It would be powered by a Bass 750.

I played on at Mars yesterday and it almost shook the whole store!! I was very impressed. But I wanted to see if any of you have gigged with it, or own one.

Thanx

B

2. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I haven't actually played one, but the Goliath Senior 6x10 is one of my favorite cabs, and I generally like the sound of 8x10's. (Though I wouldn't want to have to haul one around.) So the Megoliath should be very cool. I've been meaning to check one out.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, I have one.. i love it... i tried it against the ampeg 810, and the PR810.

The megoliath sounded the best to me because it had better bass response, and a horn. the horn is attenuated, so if you don't like it, just turn it off. The SWR handles more power than the standard ampeg, and still has a better low end, and weighs less than the pro ampeg. It doesn't have that Punchy "ampeg" tone... but IMO the "ampeg" tone sounds a bit muffled.

the SWR definately has that room-shaking bass that's hard to get w/ the ampeg, or anything that isn't 15's or an 18.

It's made of 2 410 compartments that are both front and rear ported, for a total of 4 ports. the ampeg is made of 4 210 compartments that aren't ported, except the pro, which has ports on the bottom 2 10's.]

The SWR has 2 different configuratons to hook it up. you can have 2 8ohm cabs or a single 4 ohm. This is really cool if you want to use effects that involve stereo, such as chorusing or flanging. I'm currently running mine with a mackie 1400 and an ampeg SVP-Pro. For the music I play, I actually prefer the sound of the ampeg head and MEGO to anything else i've heard. I play mostly rock music, and vary from punk, to more modern rock.

I've never heard Eden's 810, so i can only compare with the ampeg ones, and IMO a 410 and an 810 by the same company sound very different, so i can't compare to an eden 410... but in my very biased opinion, this is the greatest cab i could find anywhere, period.

I have no lack of good things to say about this cabinet... the only complaint is the weight... and i wish the ports in the back had a grille over them... i just feel wierd being able to stick my arm in there and feel around....

4. yeah when I was checking it out I made sure to really check it out.

I asked if I could roll it around the store. It wasnt to bad rolling it around with the built in casters.

The weight isnt really all that bad either. I'm a pretty stout guy (6' 220lbs bench=320) So it's not to bad to lug around. They let me lift it up on their sound stage too. With the hardened strips on the back it was really easy to slide it up there. And I have a truck so hauling isnt a problem.

Now it sounds AWESOME!! Your very right about the earth shaking bass. It gets low!! A low B is perfect sounding (to me) with this cabinet. it's everything I have wanted in a cabinet. Nice punchy sound with sub like low end.

Plus it looks killer!!! And It matches my bass with the black and chrome

I really think I'll go ahead and buy it...eventually I want to get a flight case for it. But thats another thread

Later
    B

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I wish I had the vehicle to haul one. I'm very happy with the Goliath Sr. 6x10, and I'm sure the Megoliath sounds every bit as good but louder, plus you have the additional flexibility that FalsehoodBass mentioned.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Get 2 4x10s for tranportation only. I know you probably think ur a big boy and can carry it all day and dont care about how big it is. Trust me, once those few weeks, months pass and you have that big ole thing in your room just sitting there, and you're tired because its too heavy, you'll be like, damn, I should have gotten 2 4x10s. Nothing against the tone. I love it, but I rather take 2 4x10s. And both being Edens, too. :D

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i love my 810... i don't wish i had 2 410's. I've had it for over a year and transported it everywhere...

oh yeah, another reason i liked it more than ampegs', it has 2 handles built in to the bottom so it's easier to carry up stairs etc.

granted two 410's are easier to transport, but they're also a lot more expensive than 1 810.