Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one have their identity stolen online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by higgi, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Late last year someone made a charge on my check card. My bank refunded the money and investigated the cause. They didn’t tell me where the data was stolen from. I removed all personal info from every site I visit to reduce risk. I even created another profile so I could be more anonymous. I don't think it was from here now, but I had to be certain and erase all my posts because they have part of my last name. Some had other personal bits of data in them. I like using my nickname for my profile but I wonder if I should use the more anonymous profile I created?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've had some strange encounters on messenger with people who got my adress here, but my ID has never been stolen.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting that this came up today. A friend of mine just had someone steal her CC number and try to buy some stuff online. I was joking with them that I spend more time on the internet than all of them combined, and I have never had it happen to me. I buy everything I can online, do all of my banking online, pay my bills online, whatever can be done online, I do.

-Mike

4. Do you think my profile name, seven letters short of my real name, is too revealing? I am sure it's not as revealing as the mini skirt I am wearing right now, but it makes a cool hat.

5. well now that you told me...
    no.

6. Is that your full name? Brave soul if so.

7. By the way if "Naveed Afzal" is famous name or something you made up, then I am sorry for being unable to recognize that. I am a hillbilly.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve been shopping with my credit card online for over 8 years and nothing has ever happened to me, yet :)

But a funny story about identity theft..

Many years ago I was downtown partying, we were all hanging around some outdoor concert and we were all pretty drunk, I was about 20 years old then.

So I´m there with a group of guys, some who I know and some who I don´t know.
    Anyway, this guy starts telling me that he´s 18 so he can´t get into bars. He then told me that he went to a trade school in the capital (I was attending that school at the time) and he decided to look up a name in the school records in order to get a faked student ID so he could "prove" that he was 20 years old.

He proudly shows me his student card with his picture and the stolen id he got from the student registar.........WITH MY NAME AND SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON IT!

Now what are the odds of that happening? He stealing my identity and then we meeting and he showing off his fake card to ME! bleh! ( He did not know me b.t.w.)

I promptly took the card from him and destroyed it.

OH...P.S.. Until last year I had always used my main credit card to shop online with. To be safe I got a new credit card which I now use "offline" and I had the limit of the "online" card reduced so if any loss occurs, it will be minimal for both me and my credit card company.

9. Me too. So far so good. When was the last time you had to put a stamp on a bill?

Beside you, I have only heard of one other person this happen to. They say, who ever "they" are, you are more likely to get your credit card number stolen from a restaurant or retail store than from online.

I will usually take out credit card numbers from accounts that I don't use often, even Paypal or Amazon, etc.. Although I have never heard of them getting hacked into. Ya never know, ya know.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    On a bill? Around of April of 1999. When we moved into our new house in May of '99, I switched everything over to electronic billing at that time.

A side benefit is that I rarely get mail in my mailbox. At one point, I thought maybe someone was stealing my mail.

-Mike

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sometimes I wonder if I should really be signing my full name to every post. I figure as long as the first letters aren't capitalized though no one will ever figure it out.

brad cook