Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one heard the new version of Do They Know it's Christmas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zack01, Nov 18, 2004.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    I think it was on the Radio today?

If anyone heard it what was new from the old version from 85?And how did the bass part sound?

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I saw it on the BBC today.

IMHO it sucks. There is no feeling what so ever, even Bono's same line sound horrible.

I think it was McCartney playing bass (or it looked that way from the video) but i couldnt really hear what was going on due to a tv with rubbish speakers.

Hope this helps

Matt

3. The chorus is shocking. It basically sounds like a collective stutter. Didn't hear all that much 'cos I poured boiling hot oil into each ear purely to block it out...

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It's dreadful. Enlivened only by The Darkness's harmonised guitar part! Dizzee Rascal's rap in the middle sounds awful, however good-intentioned it may be. And McCartney had to play the Hofner! But I guess the song's not really the point, buy it anyway for the cause.

Russ :bassist:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like an unfinished demo - very badly-produced and some of the singing is appalling!! At points, it sounds like a group of people round a campfire strumming guitars and singing drunkenly!

Are they trying to make 80s musicians/singers look good? :confused:

(OH and I listened through pretty good speakers and still couldn't hear a bass line? :meh: )

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The original song wasn't even that good. Couldn't someone have written something new?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I often listen to BBC6 at work, and started hearing it last week - bleah.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I heard an interview today with Bono and he was saying how he was really embarassed to sing that line and had tried his hardest to get out of it.

He also seemed to be saying that he didn't see this as the best way forward and that what was needed, was not charity as such, but rather governments of wealthy states allowing Africa to earn its living through foreign policies that don't penalise poorer states. :meh:

9. Are you sure Bruce? I'd read in a few places that he specifically wanted to sing that line, and that his agents kicked up a fuss when someone else tried to do it? Justin Hawkins from The Darkness apparently did it "better" (so sayeth the journalist), and when he tried to have his version put in the final mix Bono's agents got all stroppy and made them put his in?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Oh yes - this was straight from the horse's mouth,Bono interviewed live on Radio 5 - he did mention there was a mix-up with his agents and when they told him they'd got him the same line, he was like "OH NO!!" and he explained how he really hated it!!