Any one know of a good paint stripper that wont damage wood??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yesbassist, Mar 21, 2011.

1. yesbassist

yesbassist

Jul 3, 2009
    I wanna strip and repaint a bass anyone know of a good paint stripper that won't damage the wood?

2. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    Heat gun and a scraper. Very Gingerly =)

OR

Aircraft Remover (found at most Auto stores), take a lot of it, makes a huge mess, and I'd recommend doing it outdoors.

The newer Poly finishes on basses are very tough to remove.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Strip-eze, Bix, Parks, Red Devil, Citrus strip, soy strip, Stripmaster, these are all readilly available at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, or paint suppliers(auto-interior)

BillJarret....say hello to Club Med for me

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Paint stripper/remover is exactly what the name implies. It is a chemical used to remove paint and should only come in contact with paint.
    With that said, leave it on the piece that you are stripping just long enough to break down the paint and you should be fine with any paint remover. If the container says it is recommended for wood thats even better.
    Remove all the finish that you can with the chemical, dry it, then sand the rest off. Paint remover will chemically burn the wood surface if you're not careful, no good if you want a transparent refinish.

5. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    Haha, will do!

I heard its under new ownership actually.

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I like citristrip. It is nice and slow, which I prefer, and it doesn't smell like a chemical factory.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    My go to stripper is the nearest strip joint ;)

But the go to remover, I like is called "aircraft remover"

but wear protection kiddies, it will burn on your skin (that could probably be known for the remover too, wait, what?!?!?).

8. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I used Jasco on my SG (which I sent to have professionally refinished) with zero problems. Just follow the directions. It took quite a bit of time.

9. I'm kind of new to this, but I used the first brand of liquid stripper I could find, on the body, and all over the neck of my bass, and somehow stripping it made the fretboard grain even more apparent. It didn't seem to damage the wood at all.

10. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey man, I've seen advertised on TV this stuff it's like a paste you put down, wait a while and scrape it off with a putty knife. And it takes the paint right off without damaging the wood. It looked really cool but I can't remember the name. Check your local hardware store.

11. ckngumbo

ckngumbo

Jan 26, 2009
    Try wraping the body in a plastic trash bag pressed into the stripper to slow down the effect and it will penetrate better.
    Also use a plastic throw away putty knife and goggles with gloves.:cool:

12. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    Just make sure to suit up well and wear long sleeves and thick rubber gloves when using it. It's pretty harsh on the skin, but works great at removing and old bass finish.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021