Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one know what a '73 Fender Champ goes for

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a '73 champ guitar amp that's in great condition. Just needs a tube or 2 and I was wondering what it's worth. Anyone know, or know where I can find out? Thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Back in 2002 or so I bought a 1965 Vibrochamp for just under $300. Other champs were running in the 2-300 range, and I've seen 70's silverfaced champs locally for between $150 and $300.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    You know that's not what I want to hear dammit!

Anyone want to tell me $800, or $1000, or $2550? I'm probably going to wind up just keeping it if it ain't worth much. It sounds great and is definitely not worth my re-tubing and selling for $150.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm seeing around the $250-$300 range.

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I paid $250 for mine about 4 years ago. Great little amp though. You can overdrive it without it getting too loud. Perfect for recording (which is why I'm hanging on to mine).

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    And the going price went up around $500 in the past 4 years..... right???

please?

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, check eBay. That will tell you what they go for.

8. I paid $275 + $25 shipping for a 67 VibroChamp on ebay in 2003. I paid $205 +$25 shipping on ebay for an 82 Super Champ in 2001.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe you'll have better luck if you advertise it as "autographed exclusively by a member of The Nerve!"

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    $230 for a Super Champ?! WOW! I've seen those things lately for up to $700! FANTASTIC little amps.

11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I sold a silver face for $600 locally last year.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a current ad from a local free rag:

I have a 18 watt Fender Rivera era Super Champ in excellent condition...serial#F215778. It is loaded with Celestion G10-35 speakers and a new set of JJ 6V6 power tubes. It has a vintage Music Man footswitch (led lights) to control the reverb and lead channel. You will NOT be disappointed in this amp. Looks and sounds great. $650

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's a far cry from a little 73 silverface, though.

14. I was very pleased to win that auction. I use the amp for Tele and my '54 Fender Dual Pro steel guitar. Of course an SM57 at the top of the cone helps a lot.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Old Fender amps don't have the vintage collectibility that the guitars do. My main bass amp is a 1967 "transition" era Blackface Bassman, I use it with an Eden D210T cabinet and it sounds un-effing-believably fantastic. And looks really great, too. It's kind of cool to have a bass amp that makes guitarists jealous.

Anyway, they made about a zillion amps, many more than guitars and basses, and they were built so heavy duty that they last forever. Also, it's really easy to duplicate the electronics and throw in some tubes and you instantly get the tone. Duplicating the woods and magnetics of a vintage guitar is another story.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Joe, take a look over here: http://www.thefenderforum.com
    There's one on there right now for $265, with a nice Weber speaker and in perfect working order (supposedly). Those big 2K-ish prices you mentioned are mostly for pristine BF Deluxes, Vibroluxes, and various tweed oldies. You might find someone who'll give you four bills or so IME, but IMHO you should go ahead and retube if that's needed. I see guys paying a bit "too much" for silverface Fenders pretty regularly out here. Many people budget in a trip to a tech when they buy a vintage amp, so if you can sell yours without it needing that you are ahead of the game, eh? :cool: