Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one like Dirk Lance from Incubus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by toycopbassist, Feb 7, 2001.

1. toycopbassist

toycopbassist

Aug 12, 2000
    i am just woundering if anyone likes dirk. i am really into incubus becuase if you listen to whats on compared to them there original and i like that. i also like that he dont follow the guitar and will play a different beat from the guitar and drums. well i just wanna know your oppinion. thanks

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    man, i know you'd *like* to think that the bassist of one of your all-time fave bands is really awesome, but uhm, he's not. breaking away from the guitar and drums ain't exactly a revolutionary concept in the world of bass, and almost everyone else does it better than Dirk what's-his-face. except me. i'm crap.

3. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i'm with toycop on this on. i think that dirk is a great bassist. he certainly has his own style of playing and i really dig it. some of his lines are amazing.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, I like Dirk. His basslines are great!

5. i like dirk, i feel like i mention this in a different Dirk thread each week, isnt dirk a great name??? me and my bro started using it as a fake insult its great.

stupid dirks

6. You said it - I don't play much modern 'metal' anymore because it is all sounding alarmingly similar save Incubus. Comparared to some of the virtuoso's like Jaco/Clarke/Bruce/Berlin/Brown/Kaye/Patitucci/Miller/Wooten/Manring etc etc Dirk is probably rather average but within the style he plays he is definitely better than most.

7. Yeah he's a tight bassist, comes up with some kickass lines. But not as good as Ryknow!!! Hahahahaha!!!! :D

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    cyklone, yer a man obsessed ... :D

9. Ain't I? Hehehe...;)

10. 'course he's awesome. tasteful lines, great slap chops, great tone. he certainly surpasses the majority of modern alternative/metal/whatever. if you honestly think that 'almost everyone' is better than dirk, than you obviously have not listened to much incubus.

11. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    toss another vote in for loving dirk. he is a really amazing player...i love the band too

12. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    id say hes a decent bassist, better than most of all the other MAINSTREAM rock band bassists, but hes not really that revolutionary, if you search around youll find bassists alot better than him, but you wont hear it on the radio.

13. I like Incubus a lot, and the bass playing is just icing on the cake. His lines are tasteful and groovy, and they really add some flavor to the song. On the latest album his lines are a lot more "modest" but I've heard some of their older stuff and he certainly can tear it up!

14. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    see .. yer biased coz they're yer fave band. ner ner ner-ner ner !!!

15. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Ryknow! but yeah, Dirk is a very good 5 string thinger.

16. Dirk is a very good bassist. He can slap good and his basslines kick a$$. You can't ask for anything more. He fills his position great. I look up to him as a bass begginner. Oh, Ryknow is very good to. I was impressed by his slapping in a metal band like Mudvayne. Don't hear that much. His basslines are very good also. Thumbs up to both bassists.