Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any one play a reverend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meridith, Mar 19, 2002.

1. meridith

meridith Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    clinton twp michigan
    i think they make the best basses ever i love detriot

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I saw Jars of Clay Sunday night and the bassist switched back and forth between a (Marcus Miller Sig?) Jazz bass and turquoise-colored Reverend. IMO, the jazz had much more clarity and presence, the Reverend was a lot of low-end mud. Could have been the room, or the soundman screwing up the eq, although it seems strange that one would sound so much better than the other.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rumblefish 5L owner checking in.

Incredible necks on these basses! I like the series/parallel mode, adds a very useful tonal option beyond the typical J-bass sounds.

Very well made and reasonably priced, too.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know Funkycarnivore has a Rumblefish 5L as well

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey sarah! i just checked your site

here's you:

[​IMG]

Nice bass btw... gotta love that color

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I had a Rumblefish 5L for 18 months. It was a "cool bass" but I quickly tired of it and sold it to buy a StingRay5. I'm closing in on a year since I bought the StingRay5 and i'm still excited about it. I wish I could have said the same about the Rumblefish.
    Having said that, I still believe the Rumble is a great bass and great value for the money.
    Cheers,

7. ooh, i like a woman with a revvie.

[​IMG]

EDIT: whoa, you're like 14, forget i said anything. back away, not today, disco lady...

still, nice bass, though. :D

8. meridith

meridith Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    clinton twp michigan
    me a pretty girl with a pretty bass cant get better then that huh =) bring on the jams peace

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Nice Reverend, but you look a bit uneasy.....what's the deal?

10. meridith

meridith Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    clinton twp michigan
    yeah i don tknow i guess i get on edge sometimes playing in front of people but i am getting better that was taken a few months ago at my sisters birthday party

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Where's Dave Siff?

12. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It did it's job. It was a backup bass for me. I had a blue Rumblefish Five and recently sold it to a guy I work with. It had one great tone but not much else. I'm very used to making my tonal adjustments on the bass and leaving my amp alone. I couldn't do it with the Reverend + it was a bit noisy, especially if I needed some treble edge which I usually do.

I'd rather have the Reverend than a medium range P or J bass/non active ones. I liked it better than most of the Ibanez 5's I've played, but definitely agree that a solid G&L or Stingray 5 is a step up, but they're both $4-500 more expensive new.

Their guitars are supposed to be killer compared to the same priced Fenders I hear?

LKaye

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    She either looks like she's really scared or about to laugh.Nice bass,VERY nice bass.I wanna try one so bad!

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I love my Rumblefish! I'll take one over a Stingray any day of the week (you heard me)! No disrespect intended. Everyone has their own thing and it would be boring as hell if everybody liked the same stuff. The TONE that comes out of these babies is
    awesome! Let's get ready to Rrrrruuummmble!!!:p

15. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    As I've said in other Reverend threads - if you don't mind the looks (and I don't mind at all), you'd will be hard pressed to find a better playing, better sounding bass - for the money.

The necks are awesome! Anyone who has one or played one knows what I mean! Light-weight, good balance! Very cool bass.

I hope (when they go direct) they do more custom pieces, with exotic laminates. There are virtually 1,000's of laminate finishes, colors and textures to choose from! Hey, I wonder if they have a spalted maple laminate???

Another thought - if they're going to make solid color basses, why not make some exotic finish pickguards!

GREAT BASSES!

16. i gotta agree. stingrays and MIA fenders are fine basses, but i've done pretty extensive A/Bing, and i'd rather have my rumblefish. and that's not even taking into account how much less the reverend costs!

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I really dig the way your bass looks :D

Maybe that's because it's nearly the same color as mine, DHC.

Anyway, judging from two stereotypes, you can't compare the rumblefish and the mm's just because the mm's are supposedly (I believe this, too) very punchy; the 'fish's are very clear, too. (I can't comment, since I've never played one)

I just don't see how you can compare piano-clarity vs pure punch. :)

18. Over here, dude! :D
    Everyone knows how I feel about my Rumblefish. Best playing bass I've ever owned. Whoever said it's a great bass "for the money".. you can drop the "for the money" part. It's a great bass, period. When I got mine, I owned several much more expensive basses, including a Modulus Flea, a Warwick Thumb NT, and a '68 Fender P, and pretty soon they were all out the door.
    JohnL.. hopefully, you can make the Atlanta get-together on May 11, so you can try my Reverend out for yourself! I've never picked up a passive Fender Jazz that sounded or played better than my Rumblefish.
    Bass-only.. Reverend has gone direct. Check out their site; prices on the Rumblefish 4-string are back down to what I paid for mine back in November of '98!

19. I recently purchased a Turquoise Rumblefish 4-string from Musician's Friend on Closeout. I LOVE that bass! It's now my main bass. I think the sound is very clear, the tone is excellent, and it plays like a dream. The first time I heard one was also at a Jars concert, and it didn't sound like mud at all, it sounded amazing! Did I mention that I really love my Reverend?:D