Any one play really aggressively?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by yarnboy, Oct 31, 2003.

1. I break strings at an alarming rate. It's really really starting to piss me off. I broke my A string after about 4 band practices.. Are there certain strings that are more "durable" than others that still maintain a good tonal quality? I'm using Extra Slinkys right now.. And they don't last me too long. I really like the strings though.. I'm sure this isn't a common problem.. "Playing lighter" isn't an option ;) that will never happen in a live situation. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks
  2. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    might be the bridge cutting the strings ! or somewhere in the bass thats doing that . better get that checked
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im guessing its the EB strings.

Ive noticed that those are bassically the only strings that Ive ever busted.

4. Do you play with a Pick?

If so, it can get a sharp edge and cut the string at the bridge.

5. if the break angle over the bridge is too sharp, the thicker strings can't handle it and the core wire snaps. i lost 2 B and 1 E string before i figured this one out.
  6. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    how in the world do you break an A string?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its possible, you can break E's too.
  8. I've broken many and A and E strings! I don't play with a pick.. And I don't have a B string. The strings always break at the bridge too.. Seems pretty smooth down there.. The break angle doesn't look too bad but I've never really adjusted it.. But like I said, I'm using Extra slinkys, tuned down a full step. Thanks for all the help though!
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The slightly lower tension due to down tuning with light strings and hard playing I could see why. I would say get heavier strings or stock up on the ones you got.
  10. Well. I don't think it's a guage thing really.. I break D's and A's as much as the G.. So there are no "tougher" strings than others? I know this is a lame question, but this is costing me a damned fortune.
  11. Instead of constantly breaking strings and wasting money , play softer and get a new amp so you can turn up. No reason to play hard to sound louder if it costs money...
  12. Umm.. I appreciate the reply, but you just told me to get a louder amp to stop breaking my strings. I play through an SVT-4 Pro/Megoliath. That's basically the loudest combo on the planet. I don't play hard to make it louder though.. It's just the style of playing.. The kind of music.. Thanks none the less though.
  13. you're still tuning the strings lower than than they're technically designed to be tuned, thus the tension is lower, which i think is the point RicPlaya was making.
  14. Well, I understand that, but I've broken power slinkys too.. It doesn't seem to make that big of a difference between the guages. I like extras the best anyway. I just need to get a full product endorsement from EB and everything will be ok! :)
  15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    It sounds like Slinky's just aren't going to cut it.

If I were you I'd start experimenting with heavier gauges of strings as others have suggested. DR's and Daddario Prisms do ok for me.

Another option is heavy gauge Rotosound flats like the Steve Harris set. Surprisingly bright for flats, and I imagine you should be able to tweak a decent tone with your head. I seriously doubt you'd be able to break those.

Seriously though, if you are breaking strings that frequently there is something wrong with either your bass or your technique.
  16. i have broke alot of strings....mainy d and g but sometimes a and e....i found that the indent the strings leave on the bridge has a big impact....i was breakings strings weekly for a long time...i started putting small pieces of plastic sheet between the string and the bridge....this has worked extremely i rarely break strings...this little slice o plastic has saved me hundreds maybe thousands o dollars.. give it a try!!:bassist:
  17. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for bassman! Do you mean like milk jug or something? What kind of plastic? It's ALWAYS at the bridge.. Did it color your tone at all? Thanks man!
  18. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

how do you do that?
  19. any thin piece of plastic sheet, like from a plastic envelope....simply place the sheet between the bridge and string (while restringing), cut 2 size......i've found sandingthe bidge doesn't do **** cause the indent comes straight back......if the string isn't resting on the indent it won't break as easily.......
  20. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I'd just try different strings if I were you. I like EB Hybrids alot, but I always break em, usually the D or G strings and usually while slap/poppin. A set of these never lasts a week while other strings I have tried seem to last (I do break one once in a while, but not consistantly like I do the Hybrids.)