Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any one try to write their own version of AMAZING GRACE?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tucker, Jun 18, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    any one try to write their own version of AMAZING GRACE?

well i am right now writing my own veersion of amazing graceand its going well. I'll post it up maybe, I dunno if I can trust some people with stealing things but of course I am stealing amazing grace too( i think, is it ok to play at shoiws with it if my band lets me?). well any ways Its hard and its fun too. I was bored so i wanted to write my own version.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Amazing Grace" is a public domain song, so it can't be stolen.

I haven't come up with a version of that, but I have a version of "What a wonderful world", and one of "Stolen Moments".

Will

3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    so anyone can play it right? well if yes ok then i understand if no i under stand too

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anyone can play any song. The question is whether you have to pay royalties for it or not...

5. If you make ANY money from Amazing Grace, you sure as heck better donate all the profits to a church.

6. I came up with a heavy metal version of "Awesome God"

needless to say, it rocks.

7. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Well first of all my band doesnt playing tunes like Amazing Grace anyways I was just wondering if it was possible sorry forall the controversies.

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I played a solo version of "Amazing Grace" at a memorial service for my uncle. Before he died, he gave me a bunch of great electric and hand tools, and I built a bass with them, which I played at the memorial service. I love that song, and it sounds cool on the fretless bass with open strings.

9. Vic Wooten has a killer harmonic live version.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that´s the best version ever!

12. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    My guitar playing friends and I play at a gospel mission once a month.We always play Amazing Grace in '4' instead of the traditional '3'.We do it very bluesily.This is the gig we switch roles and I play guitar while one of them backs me on bass,since I'm the one who remembers how it goes,and cause it's easier to sing while playing guitar than bass.
    It seems to get the guys at the mission reved up,when they see us come in they sometimes holler at us to play Amazing Grace.They're a great crowd.
    It's an incredible priviledge for us to play for God's homeless and afflicted.I'd recommend it to anyone.

13. Funny you should mention Amazing Grace!A freind from church and I were working on that this morning.We hope to play it for the church one sunday.I have the root notes down(he mainly strums and sings the melody) but would like to jazz it up a bit.Any suggestions?

Thanks

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't there a "Jaco-style" version of this tune, posted on a bass instruction website? I remember there was a thread where somebody asked about the tab for Jaco's version of Amazing Grace and in the end it turned out that the audio file had been put up by a European bass player and wasn't actually Jaco at all?

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well to tell you the thruth i don´t know if it´s jaco´s version... i just downloaded the mp3 (please don´t hurt me :)) with the name of Jaco on it...
    maybe it´s another napster scam! :eek:

the mp3 says on the ID box "The Birthday Concert" album... the song has a little percussion loop on the back and someone playing harmonics...

so where´s the real jaco version? does it exist? :confused:

16. i think the DKM version of amazing grace is quite corking.

17. Francis Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald came home from their wild new years eve party. It was April. Scott had just written Great Expectations, and Gertrude Stein and I read it, and we said it was a good book, but there was no need to have written it, 'cause Charles Dickens had already written it. We laughed over it, and F. Scott Fitzgerald punched me in the mouth.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I have the Birthday Concert album and it doesn't have Amazing grace on it. Jaco never did this - it was an MP3 on an instructional website where a European bass player (can't remember his name) had put up the tune "in the style of " Jaco.

Are you saying "don't hurt me" as you were trying to pass of something that you downloaded from the net as your own work! :mad:

PS - I posted in this thread yesterday about the Marcus Miller version of Amazing Grace, but this has been deleted - I can't see why! :confused:

19. i know thier is a solo of amazing grace on one of the YES alburns by chris squire i think its on the box set yesterdays and on the end of a star licks viedo

20. My old church band came up with a Smells Like Teen Spirit Style Amazing Grace