Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any one use 2x SVT 115e ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Jun 29, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    Hi there,

I currently have a GK 1001rb-II and I am running into Gallien SBX410 and an Gallien SBX 115-II cabs.

The head sounds awesome. The 115-II is okay, but I am just dissapointed with the tone of the GK SBX 4x10. The only 4x10s I've ever liked were the Ampeg PR-410HLF and the GK RBH410. I guess that I have discovered (a little late) that I might not like 410 cabs that are sealed, and that I prefer 15s. I don't even use the tweeter.

I also own a Ampeg SVT 115e that I use at rehearsal. This speaker cab sounds great, but I can't use it live/loud as a stand alone because it is only 200 watts/400 peak. My 1001RB-II is 700 at 4ohms and 480 at 8ohms.

All this said, has any one used 2 x SVT 115e? I am thinking of just getting another 115e cab and making a stack.

Anyone out there had good luck with the 2x15 set up? Do you all think my head will just be too much for these cabs? I often have to play shows at venues without PAs.

2. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I have the same question and have thought about doing the same thing before (except with my SVT Classic on top). I would like to hear somebody's personal experiences with this or a set up like this one.

3. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    There are lots of threads about 2x15 cabs, but I, as well, am particularly wanting review on two SVT 115e used together as a stack. There are better 15" cabs out there and great 2x15" cabs, but since I already own a 115e and they are many used out there, i thought it would be the easiest match.

Anyone got the 411 on two SVT 115e's used as a stack. good or bad?

mm

4. A friend of mine uses two ampeg 1x15" 115e enclosures. He has a really nice 1970s Fender Jazz and drives the cabs with an SVT3. Its a good solid sound, reasonably punchy but particularly good for his style, he plays in a blues outfit...

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I gigged with a Classic & 2- SVT 15e's quite awhile back. I remember once playing in a gym with no PA support for the bass rig and the cabs were maxed... they didn't blow, but probably would have if I turned up any louder.

I will cut out everything in between and say that I currently use an SVT 410HE + 15E and for me thats a nicer combination of punch & lows (than just the 15e's) & it can handle higher volume levels than the 15e's alone... but I am probably switching to 12's soon since I want to use only one cab. BTW, I do use the horn on the 410HE, but just a hint of it.