Any one use .45 .60 .80 .105 Chrome flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by magnetus, Apr 7, 2020.

1. magnetus

magnetus

Mar 6, 2020
    I was thinking about trying a more balanced tension set of chromes but does that effect the tonal balance? Will the E string sound extremely boomy relation to the others and will the G string sound even more twangy coming from the medium gauge set?

2. This will all depend on the bass.

I once tried Fender Flats 9050L (45-60-80-100) and 9050CL (45-60-80-105) on both my P and J. The 100E sounded better on the P, while the 105E worked better on the J.

iiipopes and Mastermold like this.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I have done both the Chromes and the Fenders. Changing the Chromes gauges does not change the tonal balance negatively; actually, it can help a P-bass with a pickup setup to match the new strings. They will still fade from zing to thump, no matter what you do. And Fender could bring back the 9050CL, since they do make the 105 for the 9050M set, for the reasons set forth by Michael above: they sound different and better on some basses.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Has bad experience with Chrome 100E on my Pbass, sound die fast, dull and lifeless compare to the rest.
    I am more prefer Fender 9050L which has better clarity and definition on 100E than 105E from 9050CL.

If you play jazz bass, i suggest EB Cobalt Flat which give the Jazz bass sound meaty and juicy plus clear E sound !!

hope help

Tim Skaggs and michael_t like this.
  5. What bass are you planning to put the Chromes on?

6. magnetus

magnetus

Mar 6, 2020
    A fender jaguar bass

7. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    It may be thicker relative to the A compared to traditional sets, and therefore stiffer, but the larger gauge also increases tension which will increase brightness a little, this might compensate to some degree.
    Most players seem to complain about G 'twang' due to its gauge being small. So it seems to me that the G being larger relative to the D, compared to traditional sets, might improve tonal balance and reduce relative twanginess.

Anyway, you can only find out if you like the result by trying it.

8. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    That is why Fender sets from the '50's and '60's had a 50 G string and a 100 E string: tame the G string overtones, and encourage the flexibility of the E string to have more overtones to match the rest of the set.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Kramer F3.1.JPG ASAT 01.JPG I use them. I pulled a nice, well broken-in set of them off this Kramer Forum III several years ago; cleaned them up; and stored them away. A few months ago, I got this '15 G&L tom Hamilton ASAT Bass; and, just for grins, put the old Chromes on it. To my surprise, they seem to suit the bass very well. However... Sorry; this is the only set of Chromes I've ever used (I never use D'Addario strings, as a rule), so I have no clue as to how they compare to Chromes of different gauges. I'm plenty happy enough with these, and since I'm a "leave well enough alone" kind of guy, I doubt I'll be experimenting with them...:cool:

10. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Uh, no. The 105 core will be marginally thicker as well as the wrap, and because of this it will be less flexible, and actually not be as bright in the long run as a 100. Research my threads where I commented, cussed, discussed, dissected, argued, analyzed, anal-ized and did everything but actually physically take apart a set. This is why Fender discontinued the CL set: the E string does die first. The good thing: for well-seated GDA strings, an Ernie Ball stainless flat has a little bit less growl than the Fender does new, but coordinates very well in either the 100 or the 105. So for changing one string, you get double the life out of the set. I gigged a set of CL's for two years, changed the E string, and gigged another year on the same set.