Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any ones fingers constantly chewed up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I've been finger picking for 3 or 4 months now, and learning to slap for 2 months maybe. And my thumb, index and middle finger constantly get chewed up. Today they started bleeding.

And this isn't the first time. this happens maybe every 2 or 3 weeks, callous (spelled it wrong...) builds up, and than the skin just peels and my fingers either hurt to much to finger pick or bleed.

My thumb from slapping is the same thing.

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Um . . . perhaps you are being a little over-zealous about practicing?

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    What do you mean?

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, how hard are you playing? How long are you practicing? I never, ever got to the point where I was bleeding. Calluses would build up in the first month or so of slapping, and it would be uncomfortable, so I would just not play for the rest of the day.

5. I used to get blisters on my fingers from slapping, but now they just callous over. I dont think my thumb has ever been sore or raw from slapping, no matter how hard I play.

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I dont play that hard when I practice. I finger pick 30 minutes a week at lessons, except today becuase my fingers were bleeding, so I used a trusty pick. And I practice black sabboth and more riff type basslines by finger picking. And when im in my room playing along to the radio, blink, green day, etc...I use a pick. so figure on average 8 hours a week fingerpicking and maybe 8 picking. And slapping I rarely ever do. I would say 30 minutes of slapping a week. I dont think thats enough for my fingers to bleed.

This didn't happen in my left hand, only my right hand that finger pick and slap with. So I dont know whats up.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wierd. I've only started to get raw after playing 5 hour rehersals night after night after night. Used superglue last night for the first time in a while.

How long have you been playing Irule?

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and bass for 8 or 9 months. I started taking lessons to read music 3 months ago, and thats when I started to finger pick. And thats when my fingers starting acting up. *im not even joking* Maybe I need to moisturize them more? My hands seem dryed out. I dont know what it is.

I bassicly quit guitar though, I can play a little, bass is to much fun though.

9. Pussy.

Actually, I'm much more of a wuss, I've been a pick player (and only a pick player) since day one. ;)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Give it time, keep playing even when it hurts. From the past two weeks my fingertips have been like rocks and after a day of not playing, tapping a cowbell sounds like a drumstick.

Not kiddng.

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah well I really can't play with my fingers today. If I had a camera I would take a picture of my finger and post it. Bassicly there's a split down the middle of my finger tips, and theres no skin at all on the upper half, just typing with my fingers hurts. Bass strings....

I would think 3 days, I can finger pick again. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening again?

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You're playing too hard. Lighten up your pick-hand attack. Practice with an amp, and make sure you have enough mids in your sound so you don't dig in too much just to hear yourself.

13. lazyi

lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Which finger? Index or Pointer

Maybe you are favoring 1 finger more then another. I used to get Blood blisters on my Pointer. when practicing for more then 3 or 4 hours in a row. But that's because I was plucking away with one finger. Anyway since I started concentrating on using 2 fingers and 3 fingers things have gotten better. Also if you are with a band and can't hear your bass you may puck harder, so it is better to turn up a pluck lighter.

I would say you need to chill at least a week. Don't want to get an infection and lose the finger.

A :bassist:

14. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    What type of strings are you using? Stainless chew my fingers up on my right hand. Next time you change strings give nickels a whirl and see if that helps any. Maybe give flatwounds a try? I bought some fender flats(cost me approx 15 bucks) for my P copy and those feel wonderful.

How hard do you pluck with your fingers when you're playing fingerstyle? Try to play with as light of a touch as possible.

l

15. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, well when I play with my band, I always use a pick, the style of music I play just means I need to use a pick. I dont rule that much that I can finger pick as fast as I need to. And when I practice by myself im really not digging in that hard. And my mids are always up along with some treble and presence. The bass is rolled off a little bit. My artcore puts out alot of bass to begin with.

The stings im using are ernie ball slinkys, and the sound I get is perfect for the music I play too. So im not gonna change my strings out, im happy with my strings now.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Crank up the pups and the amp, backoff on the attack.

17. I don' think I've ever had problems with my picking figers in the 25 years I've been playing. My fretting fingers get a little raw from sliding and doing pulloffs and such on stainless strings. I've never bled.
    I tend to dig in pretty hard sometimes while picking to get that Steve Harris-esque tone. If you're bleeding while practicing, practice a lighter touch and adjust your setup so that you don't have to be so aggressive.

18. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Its not even that guys. Its like, I'll practice monday - thursday (this is what could happen, it doesn't work exactly like this but whatever) And everything will be fine. But than lets say im just walking or watching t.v, my fingers will just start to peel to the point were they bleed.

So its not that im playing to hard. I dont know what it is.

19. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    If you are playing in front of the tv, not plugged in to anything, you're probably digging in really really hard to hear yourself.

20. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Don't pick the skin?
    Have you been useing any sandpaper recently? I know that i've been custom making a bass, and accidently sanded part of my finger print off. Skin peels, but you don't wana pick it, or it bleeds.

Another idea- stop playing bass for a week? Or play with a pick?