1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any opinions about Behringer ULTRABASS BX1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voice32, Mar 20, 2002.

1. 20% THD+N ?? How much of that is noise?

2. dtimke

dtimke

Feb 1, 2002
    Kenosha, WI
    how does this amp compare to others that are about the same price?

3. hey ryan, whats the big idea? I WANT MY COWS BACK!!!!

4. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I checked it out at my favorite neighborhood music store - and I must say it is pretty decent for the money. What impressed the hell out of me is the sub-bass (octave) setting. It soiunds better than my Boss OC-2 through my normal rig - and it tracks even lower than the boss as well.

5. how loud is it? is that loud enough to play with a loud drummer?

6. I finally brought up the money to buy one and... wow now everything sounds soo much better ( I only had a Peavy Microbass before (20W ;-) )).
    In the store I tried it with a 1800$ Fender US Vintage Precision, so at first I thought the awesome sound was mainly because of the bass, but then I tried it with my Squier Precision and it was great. I think the dynamizer helps alot.

And yes it is quite loud if you want it to be although it then has quite a bit of noise but you cannot hear that as long as you play. Actually I was louder than the rest of my band with 1/5 full gain and 1/3 full master volume.

7. All your cows are belong to us...

How's that for my first post?

P.S. I *will* be buying this amp as soon as possible. My Vox T25 combo is awesome for practicing, but it just doesn't come near to competing with two Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps and a loud drummer.

8. GIG REPORT:
    I recently played bass in my high school musical and took this tank with me. We put on "Once on this Island" - a not very well known show, but the music was bass heavey (carribean, ska-ish). The amp performed beautifully. Loud, tight, and not as huge as a half stack or anything like that. It works well in the tight "pit" situations that the musical presents. Everyone was able to hear it - in front of and behind it. Only two problems - 1. It's pretty heavey for the size and I had to drag it around quite a bit. and 2. As with most amps, it made noise when i was too close, and especially when the light grid came up, but none that the audience could hear. Overall it gets a 9 on the gig scale.

9. 9 out of what?

10. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm getting my first bass rig this week. I've narrowed down my amp choices to the following:

1. Fender Bassman 25
    2. Behringer BX1200

I'm really impressed (and shocked) by the sound of the Fender 25watter; however, the Behringer intriques me. I can pick it up for about the same price as the Fender and have nearly 100W more. I don't plan on playing out so 120W is overkill, but if I can get the extra kick for about the same price, it seems like a good deal.

I've been unable to find out any more info/reviews on this amp other than this thread. Harmony Central has no reviews on it.

Do any of you have any more info on the Behringer?

Thanks!

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Wow, they really have copied the Kickback well. The overall public opinion on Behringer gear is very negative. They make some stuff that is pretty ok for the money, but lots of it is POS. Features are copied directly from well-known brands and units are made from cheap components in China. Try it and if you like it, go ahead.

12. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    My problem is finding someone that actually has one that I can try. I've been unable to locate on near me. I've visited the large guitar stores as well as some mom-n-pop places. The only place that I can locate one is online.

I'd really like to try one out. If I can't, I'm going to have to go with the Fender Bassman.

13. 9 out of 10 there localhost. but again, i havent played with it in a larger setting such as a band playing at a large hall or anything. i assume you would need a bit more power for a bigger hall.

14. It should be enough for halls smaller than 500 people

15. of course depending on the people :D

16. true. on closing night we sold out (about 500). It was able to play over them durring the applause at the end (and still cut the groove all around, not just the low end). I'd say if you're on a budget like i am, its worth it. A good investment in a nice luggage carry device or even a cheap skateboard to wheel it around is also a good idea.

17. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Carpe-

Having used the amp a little, have your first impressions changed at all? How durable/reliable do you think this amp will be? The only reason I'm hesitating from purchasing the Behringer is the Behringer name (probably not a real reason to dismis it as I have a 6 track Behringer mixer that is excellent).

I've been putting posts everywhere that I can in order to get more information. Do you know if the chain stores (GC or SA) carry this amp?

Thanks!

18. I think it'll put up to as much abuse as i can dish out. it got kicked a few times, had things taped to it, and hit a wall by accident, and came out just fine. On the last night one of the drummers hit it pretty hard with the congas when he wasn't looking, and we'll just say my amp won the fight.

I think you might want to check Guitar Center, although they didn't have it when i went looking for it, they are close to MusiciansFriend and usualy carry the same gear.

19. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I just got a new MF catalog in the mail today. The amp in question is indeed in the catalogue as a new item. I did notice that when you go to the GC website that if you choose the "Buy Online" link, you are taken to Musician.com which looks exactly like MF.com.

I think I'll call GC tomorrow and see if they have (or will get) it.

20. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    For those of you who own this amp, please post a review at Harmony Central. It will be helpful to those who are looking to buy this amp.

Thanks!

:)