Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any opinions about MTD Grendels?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I just made a four player and cash trade. One of the players I'm receiving is an MTD Grendel or is it Grendel? It's not just a player to be named later and I understand that they're discontinued but the reviews on Harmony Central were actually pretty good.

I need what I would call a bar bass and decent 2nd bass and practices bass so that I didn't have to take the new black ceruse F Bass to gigs where there was heavy smoke, no room on stage leaving myself a high likelihood of denting or scraping it's vulnerable finish by exposing the bass to the elements of clumsiness and stupidity. The Grendle has two single coil barts, a two band EQ with a 3 way mids toggle switch, maple board and neck, and a nice turquioseish flame maple top. It has a matching headstock. There'll be a picture attached below.

I expect the bass to have it's share of highs but so does my F bass with similar wood and electronics options. Any of you have experience with a Grendle and what suggestions do you have to make it a prime workingman's bass at gigs where I don't want to expose the piece of art F bass to the elements?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. I had a Beast 5, which is essentially the Grendel without the fancy top or active electronics, and LOVED it.

The Grendel should be a great bar bass -- or just a great bass, period.

The Beast needed a fret level job in order to get around a slight neck dip it had, but once that was done, the instrument was just great, great, great.

The only other complaint I've ever heard is that they have w i d e string spacing. But I like that feature.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I actually sold my Fbass because the Grendel that I had purchased was so good. I know it's considerred a "budget" bass, but this thing smokes! Grendel's actually have a two band eq with a three postion adjustable mid. As far as the highs go, mine has a maple board which really makes it bright. It's even brighter than my 535, so I would say that it's much brighter than your Fbass. All in all, their great basses, especially for a gigging bass. It's too bad that Mike stopped making them, because their quite a value.

4. slonlo420

slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I had a Grendel 4 string that I loved. It played great and had the growl I look for in a jazz style bass. The active barts were really bright which I didn't mind but if you're used to a traditional jazz bass sound you may find too harsh. In a nut shell it's a poor man's Sadowsky.........perfect bar bass.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks, good decision so far it looks like. I'd rather have a little extra highs to turn down slightly than never having enough!! What kind of rigs are you guys running your MTD's through?

6. slonlo420

slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I actually had to trade mine to get a Stingray 5. I wish I could find a 5 string Grendel. But I ran mine through an Aguilar DB680 into a Crown PT2.1 that pushed an Eden D210XLT and an D115XLT. The preamp is really strong on that Grendel. You should have no problem dialing in the tone you want.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Larry- Ive been meaning to say this. But thanx for the deal you gave me on the Modulus. I worked out the bugs with the buzz(dead batteries). You hooked me up, more that I expected (He tossed a strap and new strings in on it without even me knowing).

Your a stand up guy!!

Ive played a Grendel for a little bit. I liked it, I still like the MTD necks more than any other neck out there. It does have an aggresive sound. Maybe too aggresive to some. Some have said it lacks some mids. Similiar to what you hear with Barts at times. But I didnt find this at all with the Grendel. I do tend to like the sound of an MM p'up more than jazz p'ups. That was its only flaw for me.

The D.Bowie stuff has Grendel being used, live at least(Cant spell her name).