1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any opinions on the Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex and PF-115HE Stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twenty2AcaciaAv, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Looking to replace my Acoustic 200H and Acoustic 115 cab. I had at least two people recommend the Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex and PF-115HE Stack (and a second 115). Anyone else have any opinions on this?

2. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Keep in mind that my band mainly plays hard rock and metal. I currently play a MiM Fender J-Bass and a Schecter Stilleto custom. I'm also have a side project that's more of a prog metal/rock thing of all original meterial (think Pink Floyd meets Ayreon meets Nightwish).

3. This is a killer little rig for those that like a sealed cab's tone. For my ear I would prefer to play through a pair of the PF-115HLF cabs as they are ported.

You will get a better bass response from the HLF's, but tone is personal preference.

4. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011

What do you mean by "ported"?

5. They have a port, that allows passage of air from the cab. This re-enforces the lower frequencies.

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you are looking for the midrangey tone, the 115HE's are good for that. I have that very rig:

dbd1963srig.

I think it's pretty wicked and suits what I'm looking for very well, but if what you need is a really bottom heavy sound, then you probably need to use a ported amp.

7. also use the TB search function. There are probably 100 threads regarding the PF-500 and 115's.

8. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    AT GC I see 115HE and 115LF but now HLF.

9. Sorry it should be just LF. no horn on the LF cabs, but that isnt a bad thing depending on your needs.

10. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011

Is the lack of a horn the only reason why it's cheaper?

11. That may play into it. They are also not flip top cabs, so they should be cheaper to build.

They are different cabs, and will sound different. I expect them to be of similar build quality. You are not "getting shorted" with the cheaper cab, you are getting a cheaper cab.

12. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    So which genres would fit better with the HE and which with the LF?

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    There are frequently some good deals on used PF500 heads and 115HE cabinets in the classified section. I had the PF350 head and one PF115HE cabinet for a while and really liked the tone.

14. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    I have used the PF-500 & PF-115 for about 6 months now and really like it. Great all around tone. The cabinet allows you to place everything in one unit and go to a gig. Hard to beat it for the price, IMO.

15. I play a lot of rock (punk/thrash/metal/hard, classic etc) with mine and I friggin LOVE IT ! I get comlimented all the time on the way this amp sounds. I run my PF-500 through a PF-210HE/PF-115HE and realy like the tone it gives me but a pair of 115s might suit you better if you're looking for bigger bottom end.
    +1 to CL400Peavey's post about the 115-LF if you're looking to get even deeper yet, ported is probably gonna suit you better. I just happen to like the mids the sealed cabs provide, seems to keep me from disappearing in the mix better, especially when playing with two guitars that are playing in the lower registers already.
    I'd say buy one but you might want to try one out if you can first. See if you dig it.

16. carrots.

Any amp/cab for any genre. Its about the tone you want.

If you like a tighter more mid range tone, the HE's are the way to go. Sealed cabs have been Ampegs bread and butter for a long time.

If you like more low bass I would suggest the LF's. I personally perfer a ported cab, but as I said it is preference.

You should be able to get a good workable sound with either cab.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can play any kind of music on any rig. Don't sweat it so much.

I have a PF350 and two of those PF115he's. Great little rig.

18. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think I should say, you aren't missing lows to the point that your bass doesn't sound like a bass -- for instance, if you are looking for a proper prog rock tone, you'll find it with the PF 115he. I think it does most vintage tones pretty well. It just doesn't do that super-low frequency modern bass tone I hear on the radio right now, but personally I don't like that tone.

19. +1

I think in the case of the 115he and the 115lf, Ampeg got things spot on. You have a good cab, at a good price point, for just about any tonal taste.

20. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Why not buy the Acoustic B600 ? $249.00 US is a great deal.... Im getting one in the fall.:ninja::ninja: