Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Opinions on TI Jazz ROUNDWOUNDS?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ely, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I've heard a lot of talk about the TI Jazz Flats, but never anything about their nickel roundwounds. I'm looking for nice light gauge nickel roundwounds, and these look interesting. How would they compare to a Lite-Lite set of DR Nickel Lo-Riders? By the way, I play a fiver, and I plan on getting a High C string instead of a B.

Thanks in advance for any information,
    - Ely

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Subdued Nickels under low tension. I prefer them.

3. Comfy to play and very well balanced. But the lower tension means you should have your bass set up with them. I use the 36" extra long scale. They don't make a low B jazz round in that scale. So I have the TI super alloy.

I don't change strings much so these are nce for me. Tighter winding means less string noise.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have them on my Geddy Lee jazz and I really like the sound. But, they're so light in gauge that I play completely differently on them and tend to sound kind of like I'm hacking. There is something about the tension of other strings that seems to be a major part of my technique. I also feel guilty that I will get addicted to their smooth feel and lose my calluses.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had the TI Jazz Rounds on my Modulus Q5 for a couple of weeks.At first I was quite taken with the nice woody midrangy tone including the B string. Fabulous "growl".The super low tension was compensated to some degree by raising the action (significantly). But after about a week (including two gigs) I found them too thin sounding. That was reinforced when I took them off and put a set of DR Nickel Lo Riders back on. The first thing I heard was how thick the LO Riders sounded in comparison to the Jazz Rounds. I would love to hear that Jazz Round sound with a higher gauge, higher tension string.

6. I tried some TI Powerbass R/W nickels on a Musicman Sterling and liked them for less growl, good low end, subdued highs.

7. I played Powerbass strings for a while, and found them a little "polite" for rock music. Like the others said, a little subdued overall, but pretty fat in the low end.

8. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    When I tested a set of TI rounds, I found them to be a bit too loose (tension) and a bit too soft/gentle in sound. These strings are of the highest quality, no question about it, but maybe a little too soft for a Rock band. Smooth Jazz, maybe. Honestly, when I played them, I felt like I was playing Jazz guitar. After a few weeks of trying to get used to them, I gave up and went back to my regular strings.

Definitely give them a try, but, depending on your personal taste, you may or may not like them.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Please note that I am a TI endorser and clinician.

I prefer the Jazz Rounds and use them exclusivelyfor a few reasons.
    1. Low Tension. With the extrememly low action of my bass and the low tension of the strings - playing is effortless.

2. The Feel. The outer wrap is of a very small diameter wire -They almost feel like a flat wound (or at least a half round)

3. The Sound. I perform mostly solo bass. Included in my repertoire are many chord/melody solos and looping (up to 5 voices). The clarity of each note of the JR's is amazing and allows each voice to be heard.

Some strings, such as the TI Powerbass are very bright sounding with rich harmonic content. They would be great for rock players. The harmonic content is so rich that it overwhelms my chord/melody and looping. The Infeld SuperAlloys are in-between the JR's and the Powerbass.

Mike

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm using DR stainless low-riders on my Classic 55-94 (Duncan PUPs), and just strung my Modulus Genesis 5 with TI Jazz rounds, and I like them very much on this bass. Of course the Genesis has very strong highs anyway so that's not an issue. The mids and lows are sweet with the TIs, they're staying on this bass. That said, they didn't do much for my Sadowsky Standard 5, but then I never cared for that bass anyway.