Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any opinions on - Yamaha BBN4F

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Jan 17, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Anyone here play this bass?? Opinions?? Ive seen it has jazz pickups but Ive also heard of it having soapbars or similiar.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I had one (for about 2 days). I ordered what I thought was a natural one with 2 J-pups.
    What I got was a black one with 2 EMG-HZ Soapbars. I tried to give it a fair
    test (looking beyond being pi**ed-off about the color). I thought the
    2 EMG's were just too much. The tone got kinda' muddled. I already had a
    RBX260F (fretless, 1 P-pup). I like the lightness of it and the BBN4F was
    similar. The fretless board felt good as well. If you can get a BBN4F
    with 2 J's, go for it! I'm sure they sound better than the EMG's
    and if not...there are a he** of a lot more replacement options.

[Edited by notduane on 01-17-2001 at 01:17 AM]

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx for the tip, Wow another one with soapbars. Ive never seen one with them. Their site(Yamaha) doesnt show them with soaps so Im guessing that was discontinued.

Notduane another question for you actually two.
    Is your name Duane or not :) also did it have maple inlays for fretlines??

Anyone else try one of these, they are hard to find around here along with any fretless and Yamahas.
    Thanx

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Huh. I was guessin' it was the other way around. I thought the J's were
    discontinued in favor of the "new & improved" (and probably a h*lluva
    lot cheaper ;) ) EMG HZ's.
    No. :p

My real last name sounds exactly like the name of a 60's / 70's Blues-Rock
    band from Georgia. When introduced, people always ask me (or my brother notgregg :p ),
    "Oh, any relation to the ****** Brothers?" That stopped bein' funny a long time ago.

Ain't I clever? :rolleyes:
    Garsh :D . I only had it for a couple of days and can't recall. I do remember
    that the board was very much like my RBX260F. I just checked ~ the lines aren't
    that much brighter than the board itself. So polystyrenes's out. I'm guessin'
    that maybe it's wood filler of some kind given the "inexpensiveness" of both
    the RBX260F and the BBN4F.

5. i havent played one, but it did get the top tone and best built from bass player mag in the fretless shootout.

peace

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Really what month?? I have a subscripion but havent seen it.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just got me one of these. The newest version,
    BBN4F III is the same that won Bassplayer's test and
    has soapbars on it. It's still waiting for flatwounds so I'm not able to comment before that :(

8. The Bassplayer Shootout was April 2000. They rated the BBN4FIII the best overall of six similar priced fretless basses. These were Aria AVB40FL: good bass overall, Carvin LB-70F: good bass overall, Cort/Curbow 4FL: good bass but uneven string balance, FenderJazz: good bass overall and excellent sound, Washburn XB-200FL: Below average all round, Yamaha BBN4FIII: best overall with top sound and construction. Some comments on the Yamaha were "natural sound, girthy tone, Every register has it's own sonic goodies, Your money's worth and then some". Hope this helps ya dude. I'd buy one.

9. P.S: forgot to mention, they use two Yamaha soapbar hum-buckers with split coil P-style magnet configuration.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    [
    it did get the top tone and best built from bass player mag in the fretless shootout.

I dont hold too much stock in what bass player has to say about product reviews. Ive noticed that they dont usually say a product is bad, and only give good reviews. NOt saying they havent written a bad review of a product b4, just seems to me like the stuff they review is almost always a good review and they recomend it.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Marty thanx for the imformative message, I havent seen that issue in the book stores around here. But a friend of mine has a copy he's going to lend me.

I wonder if it was a special issue or something because I never received one.

I stand corrected it is indeed soapbars, WOW! split coils(P's) in side the soapbars covers.

I wonder if Yamaha does this with their other basses??

Does a split coil sound different then a straight coil???

Tsal let us know how it works out, Im really thinking about ordering one. What did you compare it to when you were looking for a bass?? Or did you order it on a whim??

12. Odie my opinion on the Yamaha BBN4F will be heavily based on the fretted version. I looked at the BBN4 when they were being sold with the jazz pickups. When I fianlly decided on the BBN4, they just started equiping this bass with the EMG HZ's "soapbar" pickups. (A year and half ago) I prefer the tone that the EMG's give this bass compared to the jazz. Also, the bridge pick-up with the jazz version had a 60 cycle hum when turned pass midway. I have been very pleased with my BBN4 (well worth the money) and had the chance to play the fretless last week and was very impressed with the tonal(sp) quality. One last thing, you will need an amp that has some power to really make this fretless sing!! 200 watts minimum!!!

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Arch I think Im being sold on the BBN4F, I dont think they have the EMG's in it anymore, I think they are Yamaha's own brand of pickups in them.

The fretless that you played recently did it have emg's or were they Yamaha's??
    What store did you see the bass at??

Thanx

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    One thing about these basses, I asked local store if they could order me one since they diden't have em in stock, and it would had taken 6 months to get one! So I ordered one from Germany. Was much cheaper too :cool:

15. Odie, they are Yamaha pickups in them now. Also, a previous post said that BassPlayer tends to only give good reviews. While I do agree to a certain extent, in that particular review they trashed the Washburn, so not everything gets thru unscathed. Read it, and make your own mind up.

16. The store I bought my bass from and played the fretless at was Mars. You can probably find the bass on their web site. The fretless that Mars had matched the one that Bass Player showed on their magazine.

I have to eat my words from the earlier post because my bass has the Yamaha pickups and not the EMG. I didn't have my bass out to check when I wrote my first reply.

I don't think you will go wrong with the BBN4F. If I was looking to buy a fretless that would be the one I would buy.

Good luck on getting the BBN4F.

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx all for all the tips on the bass, I think Im going to order one as soon as my "better half" ok's it.

Thanx everyone, and if anyone sees a good deal on one let me know(better than Musicians Friend etc).

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    NOTE: you want to get flatwound strings on it as soon as possible, preferably at the moment you get it. Buy a set with the bass. I had the roundwounds that came with the bass for 2 weeks(before I got D'addario Chromes on yesterday) and there were clearly visible scratches on fingerboard.

19. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play a Yamaha BBn4F-III, natural finish, and love it. I just got a new amp, the ampeg ba-115, and they sound great together. I replaced the roundwound strings with Ernie Ball flatwounds and love the sound and feel.

I think the III designation on the bass is where the Yamaha soapbar pickups started. They sound pretty darned good to me, although I cannot compare them to the other pickups. I got mine at mars music in Austin for $379. They no longer have the fretless. One of the guys there said that the fretless version was discontinued, although I don't know how much credence to put into that. They had plenty of RBX260 fretlesses tho.

The fret markers are maple, the fretboard is rosewood.

20. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got a BBN4 about four years ago, back when they came with the Jazz pickup config. I bought a BBG4S II, which is a lot like the BBN4 only with humbuckers and a preamp, last summer and ripped the frets out of my BBN4. It sounds awesome. I'm really happy with the results and it's definitely a keeper. You may want to consider doing this too.