Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any opinions regarding SWR products?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dawn, May 6, 2005.

1. Dawn

Dawn

May 6, 2005
    Thinking of buying a new bass amp like SWR LA-12. Anyone have any idea if it is a good amp to invest in? :meh:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no i don't
    the workingman's 12 is a much nicer amp.
    i really like swr but i think they dropped the ball on the la series, not worth it IMO

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm a huge advocate/user of SWR products but I agree with IM...the LA series is pretty crappy. I've always been very unimpressed with the quality and sound...for the money I'd go, and have gone, Peavey all the way for that matter on combo's. (But that's a whole 'nother thread :D )

4. i own an LA12 from the first series. I have it for 2 months and plan to sell it already: it is loud enough for practice at home but not enough for rehearsal or gigs and the sound it has is pretty good for slapping but not for anything else. It just is a very un-versatile amp. Portability is great, but who needs portability in a bedroom-amp?
    If the only music you play is pop or you slap alot, this might be the amp for you, but if you also wish to have a warmer sound for rock or blues stay away from this one.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My own take on SWR is that the Pro Series products are very nice, but the lower-end lines are nothing but import gear trying to get a few more bucks added on because of the SWR name.

If you really want an Indonesian-made, inexpensive bass amp, you can probably get something at a better dollar value than the LA series SWR stuff.

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Do you really want to own a piece of gear called "Workingman" ?? :eyebrow: Go with the Peavey. :smug:

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the sound of the LA12 myself, but definitely shop around. 60 watts isn't a lot of power for a bassist and SWR stuff can be expensive. When it comes to good priced amps, I'm a total Ashdown advocate. Peaveys are solid too, but I prefer the sound of Ashdowns. Ashdown and Peavey= a LOT more amp for the money than SWR.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Don't bother with SWR unless you're going for the Pro series. For a little combo practice amp there are much nicer amps than the SWR stuff.

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    IMO, the Workingman's series (now redeveloped and known as WorkingPro) is actually incredibly good for the money. Excellent smooth tone and great features on the 4004 and 8004 (which I own) and the cabs are very good for the money as well. The Workingman's combos and very nice, but you really need to get a RIG for live situations.

Carvin makes VERY affordable and powerful combos.

-Eric.

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I still like SWR products, I thought they were going out when Fender Bought them but they have actually improved. Some of their products that were developed towards the end of the SWR era sucked. When Fender took over, they dropped certain products and improved on the one's that they thought had a chance. Some of the products were completly redesigned and components were actually upraded ( La series). The only reason I know this is beacuse I got to see the new improved items as they came into the BassPlace in Tempe ( just down the road from Fender). Issues they had with the 750, ( which they turned into the X) SM-500 and 900 were suposidly fixed. I have one of the older SWR INC. SM 500 amps and have kept it because it is great in the studio ( I also use it live). I would recomend the pro series only, I agree with the other members here that the other stuff is a waste of money, hope this helps.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The workingmans combos are great sounding little amps that are well built, reliable, and reasonably priced. All of the Pro products are top notch quality, and have a distinct sound that most people either love or hate.

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i can only speak for the pro level gear. my last rig was a goliath III (pre gibson) and a bass 750. there wasnt a tone i couldnt get and i never had a single problem over 3 years. ive heard the LA series just isnt SWR standards.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just say, "No".

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I find them kinda blah in the tone department. Nothing jumps out at me, not too lively...just kinda mild.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    see how a thread degenerates?

poor thing was just asking opinions on the LA series, and now we're talking the failings and merits of the pro series......... :p

i still like the wm 12 and 15, but as i don't like combos, i dunno how they compare price wise to other brands.

i was never enamored with the wm cabinets, but i thought the heads were ok, just underpowered.

i like all of the original swr enginering heads and cabs (pre chrome, pre X, and pre goliath III and the crappy looking "texas bar proof" grilles - am i the only one who thinks the original "diamond style" swr grilles were cool as heck???)

the tone is a love or hate thing, to me the tone is blah in your living room but great live. and they can be a bit generous with their wattage claims on the heads.

IMO, i think they've gone downhill lately. i think the extra junk on the X series and mo series is blah at best. and i just cant warm up to the goliath III and goliath JR III like i could to the older versions.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I haven't heard the LA series.
    I do like the WM12 and the Basic Black (or whatever they call it now).
    They made a Silverado 2x12 combo at one point that sounded pretty good. I don't know if it is still around.

17. I agree 110%. My SM-500 sounds boring and "sterile", as some have said - until I really open it up, that's when the tone shines. :bassist:

18. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I feel the same way, when I turn up my SM-500 mono briged into my BXT 410, my Modulus Q5 comes alive.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When I was looking for a small practice combo, I compared a the LA12 to the Hartke B60, and bought the Hartke with no regrets. I've used the Hartke in a pinch for smaller church gigs with no PA support, and it gets the job done admirably.