Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7, Feb 26, 2004.

1. bassplayer7

bassplayer7

Jan 17, 2004
    Maryland
    My son has been asking me to teach him how to play bass for quite some time and I've finally decided it's time. I'm thinking of getting him a Rogue LX400 PRO. After looking at reviews and descriptions of this bass, I think it's a pretty good deal for $200.00. How about some opinions or comments about this bass from some of you other bassists!
    Thanks for your suggestions, Bill :c :bassist:

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Feder MIM (made in Mexico) jazz and P basses are also nice "beginner basses", as are some entry models from Peavey, Yamaha, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc. You could also do a search on this site to pull up a TON of information on these and other starter basses. ;)

3. I have absolutely no experience with these, but Essex (or SX) basses seem to be regarded pretty highly around here. Check out the Essex megathread or whatever it´s called. Shouldn´t be more than few pages down.

EDIT: It´s actually on front page right now...

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Id say used MIM Jazz or P is the way to go

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently went through the same thing with my 11 year old son. I looked around and decided on an OLP 4 string and it's a perfect instrument for an entry level player. Honestly I would have no problem using the bass in gig situation. Passive MM pickup that if I ultimatley inherit this bass, which it looks like I will, his interest has waned at this point, I will replace the pickup with a Bart MM. The bass cost me $189.00 with a sucky gig bag. Good luck!
    Sanch :cool:

6. appler

appler Guest

Get him an Essex Precision or Jazz! The Rogue will fall apart on you before you finish teaching him how to play it. :D

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would recommend an SX over a Rogue, any day. I have an SX P copy, and it's a decent, cheap P bass. I don't like it as much as my Zon;), but I do play it.