Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any option to EMG-HZ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ceycey, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    I'm using the EMG-HZ passive pickups with my Schecter Stiletto 5. EMG's come loaded with the bass.

I have never used an active pickup and i'm curious about what will it change if i update to active. I'm playing funk, groove, soul,....I am expecting nice and warm slap sounds and also bright clean tones. Can anyone suggest a better option to EMG-HZ pickups. And do i need to change my electronics? They are active 18 volt EMG's with 2 volume, 3 band eq controls.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I am a BIG fan of the EMG DC series. They will fit in the existing cavities perfectly and can be changed in about 10 min if your good with a soldering iron and understand the signal flow of guitar electronics. You might have to add a battery if your pre is passive or non-existant, but that's easy too. A good active pre to use would be the Aguilar OBP-1. You will get deeper bass, brighter highs, more headroom, more output. It will sound like a new bass.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The HZ's are EMG's lowest quality, cheapest pickup. Switch to the DC's and you'll be amazed at the difference.

4. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Am i going to buy 2 DC's for both neck and bridge? And where can i buy them on the internet?

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yes, get DC's for both. The exact model you want is 40-DC since you have a 5-string. Do a google search for "EMG 40-DC" I got tons of hits. They are around $100 each, but don't let that discourage you, they are worth it! Since you are going to spend that kind of money, I would definitely recommend getting an active pre, it will be just that much better.

6. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Another option is the EMG CS series. A little warmer without quite as much high end bite. JRBrown, myself and a couple of others did some direct comparing of the CS and DC pickups in a thread that I believe was called "Modulus pickups." That should give you a lot of info and opinions.

Chris

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I've heard that the CS are a good option for Fretless basses?

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I replaced the EMG HZs in my Spector NS2000/5 with DCs at bridge and neck. I'm finding the highs a might harsh from the bridge pickup, but I love it at the neck position. I'm going to try the CS at the Bridge (I believe Figjam has this same DC/CS set up) to try and tame them a bit. I'm told this combination works really well. Check out the EMG Bass Pickups Page and see if any of the descriptions match what you're looking for.

9. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Could be. My Modulus Quantum is fretted. I've never tried them on a fretless.

Which is also how I found the DCs to be, a little harsh on the top end. The CSs are still bright and open, typically EMG, yet tamed the top end a little, warmed it up.

Here's the link to the DC/CS comparison:

Modulus Quantum Pickup Configurations

Hope this helps,
    Chris

10. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Thanks guys.
    BassWhore you mentioned about active pre-amp. I also don't know much about them :crying: What are the best ones around?

The closest real music shop to me is 1500km away because i live in Turkey. Here, nobody lets you try anything before you come to shop with the money or there is nothing in the shop to try. I haven't seen any active-pre in real :eek:

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'd go with an EMG preamp for EMGs (not the universal oens). I put the BTC system in my warwick, and it is buttah on jesus toast.

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, any of the EMG pre's are going to be good, like the BQC. Aguilar makes the OBP-1 and -3 which are awesome too. I really like the Tone Pump, but I don't know if Spector will sell you one unless you have a bass from them.