Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any other amps in the neighborhood of the Trace V8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Feb 2, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    They really are the holy grail but almost impossible to find!

Any talk about a reissue from the folks at TE?

Will an ashdown ABM rig get me in the neigborhood of the V8?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    No word from TE on tube amps at the moment...
    Ashdown is one of the more similar amps to the old Trace line, but it will not sound as good as the V8.
    You might want to look for a V4 or V6, or Hexa or whatever prefix valve Trace amp. They are plenty powerful and a bit easier to come by.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tonally, the only tube head that I have heard which can compete with (and perhaps exceed) my V8 is the Sadowsky SA200. But it definitely does not come close to the V8's overwhelming volume and power. On paper, the Peavey Classic 400 should be able to keep up with a V8, but at least in my experience, my two Classic 400's (while excellent amps for the money, and very loud relative to some other amps) can't match the V8's tone or headroom. I'd say that just considering the power amp side of things, the closest thing I have to my V8 is either my DB 728 (also 400w) or my Trace VR350 (300w).

I'm anxiously awaiting the new heads from Jackson Ampworks and Diezel to see if they give the V8 a real run for its money. But for now, the V8 and Sadowsky SA200 stand at the top of the heap in my book (though obviously this is subjective, and others may feel quite differently).

Tom.

4. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    really? have they always made bass amps, or is this a new addition for them? I know their guitar amps are killer; I'd love to see what they could come up with for a bass amp. I'm off to the diezel website...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    New I bass head, from what I hear.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If Ashdown is basically neo-Trace, why don't we whine to them until they design a new all tube monster?

EDIT - What about the Marshall VBA400? Not many in the states seem to have these, but they are the same power rating. Wonder if it would keep up, at least in terms of sheer volume (tone is subjective, but ear-bleeding isn't).

7. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Huge clean headroom is a trademark of Diezel guitar amps, along with massive distortion, transparency and hi-tech add-ons. Very well built with a price tag to match, especially out of Europe. Apparently they are loosely based on Hiwatts if what I read is true. Let's hope his skills translate to bass amps. 8 x 6550's @ 400-500 Watts output should definitely be a contender! :)

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Fender Bassman 300Pro would be close to the monster in watts, not sure on tone but I love mine