Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any other bands like Inflames/ Nevermore

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by odie, Mar 15, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I'm starting to listen to Metal and Progressive Metal more lately, any new bands I should check out. Someone mentioned
    Symphony X, they were Ok too much like Dream Theater for my tastes.

Acacia and JT you should be able to help me out!!!

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yep I got the Sanctuary discs from way back, what are the other bands you listed like??

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    opeth and arch enemy are better than in flames in my opinion. better written songs, better musicianship. heavier as well.

soilwork is technical death metal ala Death's Sound of Perserverence (Buy that one too ;))

Shadow's Fall mixes a good combination of death metal, hard core and power metal (no rap!)..rough vocals, clean vocals, sweet riffs.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I think you nailed exactly what I'm looking for.

Also this is alot to ask, but what label(s) are they on???

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    arch enemy, soil work and shadow's fall are all on Century media

death is now on nuclaer blast (recently bought out by century media)

opeth is on music for nations

you can get all this stuff pretty cheaply thru www.cheap-cds.com or thru me..I am a distributor for metal blade, century media and nuclear blast as well as a ton of smaller labels. :D

7. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    Your right how Symphony X is much like DreamTheatre but i cant complain because i like both heheh

ummm you should try some Rhapsody or Labyrinth
    They arent strictly prog more of the neoclassical vein
    if you want progressive try Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Platypus or Spock's Beard

id really recommend Liquid Tension Experiment

try the new Symphony X album called V:The New Mythology, its a bit heavier and wilder than their previous albums

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    wow, you thought the new symphony x was heavier? i gave mine away. i liked them a little better when they had less keyboards and were more raw.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree I did not like the newer symphony x, I never heard anything else by them except "V" and I really didnt like it. I'm not much of a Dream Theater fan, I liked them alittle years ago, but they just are'nt aggresive enough for me.