Any other chess players here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Supernova67, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    did a search and didnt see it mentioned. Just wondering if there are any Chess players here at TB. I myself am about 6th in my highschool and concervitley rated around 800.
  2. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I play, but only leisurely. I never played in highschool, but took a liking to it sometime in my initial college years. In short, I suck.
  3. Yea, well, I'm rated 801.6 myself. :spit:
  4. i used to play battle chess a lot...i also played another chess game on my computer that allowed you to setup the board probably in the hopes that you could recreate famous strategery, but i always replaced my pawns with queens...with that setup i am rated number one in the nation whenever i go first.
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Just starting here. I have always wanted to know how to play, so lately I have been learning the basics. So far I like it.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I _love_ to play chess. I have a few really nice boards but no one to play on them with. :( I only had a few friends back in Illinois who even knew how to play, but now that I moved I don't have anyone who's down for a game.

Such is life.

I've played Yahoo! chess once or twice, but couldn't get into it that much. I think that I might start getting into that, but I would imagine it would suck up quite a bit of my time.
  7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I play, but not often.
  8. I prefer real time strategy games, like Warcraft 3, and Starcraft.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I haven't played for ages - but I do love Chess and I won a cup for best player in Sussex, when I used to play in a team in the Sussex league!

I was actually given this trophy, which I kept for a year and it had all the names of winners engraved and some of the previous winners were international Masters!! :eek:

I was never that good, but our team had some very strong players so I was always the bottom board and sometimes people were put in at the last minute, because a person hadn't turned up - so I had a lot of easy games and ended up with a 100% record for the season! :)
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've got a Yahoo i.d. - if anyone is ever up for a game, let me know. We could get a TB bracket going. :)
  11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I play a little, but my son has taken to it like a fish to water. He has two state championships for his grade level (3rd grade & under). His current rating is 1142.

So I have to get my butt kicked by a little kid on a regular basis...... :mad:
  12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    It doesn't get more "real time" then chess. Because chess is in what we like to call "real life." ;)
  13. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Chess is great.

Try out They have a free program where you can play people all over the internet.

You won't be able to play rated games as a guest... but you can challenge other guests. You can play a rated player, if their match is open to guests.
  14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used to play Chest when I was a kid with my neighbors daughter, she was hot.
  15. Funny, that's what my Daughter still calls it. I have to correct her constantly.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought this was a great idea and after reading this - went through all the process of getting the software and setting up an Account...only to find my firewall blocks this!!

No way round it!! :(
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sure there is... play Yahoo! chess. :D
  18. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I forget how to get around that.

Luckily my work firewall isn't blocked. Try emailing them at ICC, and maybe they can help you. It's worth it to get it to work.

Yahoo is okay too. I find using a browser slower though. Plus you get a lot of idiots and trash talking on yahoo... at least in my experience (after beating them of course).