Any other closet audiohiles out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hamish, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Just a thought.

I must admit my main hobby is hifi with a bit of regular bass at church on the side. I love unwinding to well recorded music on a good hifi, particularly with a cup of coffee or glass of red in hand :). I have more than once thought of taking a one year break from my current job to go and sell hifi by day (ie more regular hours conducive to gigging) and play in a covers band (or similar) in the evenings.

Quite a few years ago I remember Anthony Jackson writing about the importance for musicians of getting a decent audio system to listen to and appreciate good music. Seems reasonable to me, but what do others think?

(Edited 'cos my spelling is atrocious!)
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I try - although I haven't updated my gear for quite a while - I think nice, big speakers are important - I got some Tannoys, ages ago which always impress people who hear them.

I do like listening to Classical albums from an audiophile perspective - huge orchestras, massively deep organs sounds - anything with a lot of sound colours - like Messiaen, Mahler, etc.

I think my favourite audiophile record is the Charles Dutoit and Montreal Symphony version of "the Planets" by Holst. The organ always shakes the floor and sounds like an earthquake!!! :D
  3. "My name is Bimp.... and I'm an audiophiliac"

Got to have a clean audio system close by at all times...

In our pickup truck, Boston Acoustics mid-hi's w/ Soundstream sub

In our living room, Celestion mid-hi's w/Yamaha sub

In my music workstation, JBL MR's

I have a friend that runs 2 pr. Martin Logans with all tube pre and power. Yummy. And real.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I am to the extent that I can afford it, which means Yamaha gear for me. So , comparatively I guess no, but I wish I was! ;)
  5. Shure V15-VMR/Denon
    Revox B285/B215/B226, Nakamichi LX-5, Sony DTC 700
  6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Spent 4 years of my young life selling that kind of stuff. I love it, but own none! Its kinda like the kid that starts working at the burger joint, then quits eating burgers after a while...

I will return to hifi sound, and hopefully soon. Ahh, nothing like a good sound system:cool:
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    a year ago if you asked my what the recommended decibel sensitivity for hifi bookshelf loudspeakers was I'd say.....yes I do like carrots.

but now after a year of researching products, hearing speakers, recievers, amps,preamps,equializers,woofers,tweeters,beaters,
    and egg nog. I can safely say I am an Audiophile.

though I'm a budget audiophile...I don't have THAT much money to spend on Speakers and equipment so I only buy what I can when I can, but I always make sure I'm getting the best possible for my budget.
    currently I'm using 2 Celestion Bookshelf speakers as my primary speakers. I don't remember the exact stats but they are
    100 watts
    90 db sensitivity(I think...maybe 91)
    8 ohms
    liquid cooled tweeter
    6 inch speaker cone(I think)
    1 inch tweeter(I think)

I am currently in the market for some floorstanding speakers, and will be getting studio monitors a little later down the line.
    I'm looking to get some Cerwin vega floorstanding speakers because all teh cerwin vega products I've heard bump like nothing else.
    I'm also sortof lookign for a new reciever/amp my current reciever is 100 wattx5.1 but its more of a digital than true surround(it does true surround but it hase more digital options) I don't have a woofer at the moment, but I am also hoping to get a cerwin vega woofer(because those things are sick)
    I might end up with JBL floorstanding speakers cause I found some good deals, but I'm not sure.
    whatever I get I'll be getting it shortly and you all can see.
    I have my turntables my computer and my cd player routed to my reciever they all sound great.

the one problem about having a nice stereo, and listening to days worth of music constantly(my stereo is rarely not on) is that now .mp3s have almost totally lost their value, I can hear the difference between a cd, vinyl, or a .mp3 sooo much better on my celestions than I could on my old computer speakers...and this means when I encode .mp3s I have to do it at 192 at least...I usually do VBR though cause that usually produces better results. but its still annoying, cause I end up with less music total and more quality, but I listen to so much music that I wish I could have both.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I had the money, I would be an audiophile. I am really more of a pro-sumer. Harman/Kardon, Yamaha sub, Sony speakers, etc. I also have a Laserdisc player and a turntable, two things that are endangered species these days. And I have owned Super VHS since it hit the market. Getting harder to find those too.
  9. I have a pair of Bose 501V towers that are amazing.
    They're about 31 inches tall, but, their footprint will fit on an 8x10 photo. They have 5 1/4 inch woofers, but, that channel Bose designed is incredible. I guess it's like a mini tranmission line inside the enclosure; the bass is so deep. Not the loudest speakers in the world, but, so balanced. If you put on jazz or classical you will cry, they're that realistic. This is why I'm so in love with that singer's voice I'm always talking about, Jane Monheit. On her latest CD she sings one song in Potuguese, Comecar de Novo. (To begin again) I love Portuguese.

A good stereo is so worth it to me.

P.S. Check out Jane. She's got three Cds out and I have all three. This girl is going to go places. What a voice!
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    :eek: Damn right! My store has a looped video of snippets from videos and CDs are new or very popular, and I would go out of my way to be in the Electronics section just to hear her sing "Cheek to Cheek". Easily my favorite female vocalist.

As it is, I am much too poor to be an audiophile, nor do I know too much about the gear. My girlfriend's dad goes on and on about his McIntosh gear, though. Through his Klipsch (?) speakers, everything sounds very nice.
  11. NAD C520 CD
    NAD C340 Integrated amp
    NAD 5020A Tuner
    NHT SuperOnes

I think it's a pretty good-sounding setup for the money.
  12. Superduck, you're obviously a refined man and one of good taste. :D I'm trying to spread the word to everyone; this lady can sing.

McIntosh going through Klipsch is a big thumbs up.;)

13. I've been an audiophile since I used my student loan to buy MacIntosh gear, Advent speakers and a B&O turntable back too many years ago!

I have been very satisfied with my current system for several years now - Wilson Audio speakers, Sonic Frontiers electronics (amp, preamp, D/A and phono stage - ALL TUBE!), Transparent Audio and Cardis cables and a VPI table. I would like to find a good and powerful triode amp like the Cary 805s or VAC Renissance someday.

It seems most folks who love music have never heard a good system that is well set up. The experience of the speakers disappearing and a real soundstage appearing in the room always givers me goosebumps - especially when Norah Jones or Diana Krall or Julia Fordham takes center state in my listening room!
  14. I like to think I am. I currently have a Yamaha preamp, amp, and tuner, Carver amp, Denon turntable, Carver speakers, Infinity speakers, and Polk Audio speakers, with a Sony CD changer. My Yamaha amp needs to be checked out though, seems like I blew it or something.
    My stereo
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am a fanatic not about a hi-fi just sounding good, I have to be able to hear what WAS recorded.

There's a difference between Playing the jams, and Hearing them.

I have average Kenwood receiver, NAD cassett deck, a very old Phillips 312 turntable.

The cream of my stereo system are my speakers: 1975 DCM Time Windows. Made right nearby in Ann Arbor Mi.

They don't exaggerate the bass/mids/highs on a recording. But they will reproduce ANY note recorded accurately doesn't matter how high or low.

That's all I want.
  16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Me! Closet audiophile right here! I just got a JVC-8020 receiver with a USB input on the front, and I'm getting a pair of Bose 301 speakers for Christmas. No more sound interference from my crappy soundcard! Hurrah! The Bose has 2 2"tweeters, and 1 8" woofer. For my next purchase, I want a set of Cerwin Vega 3 way's (1.5",6",12") which will totally rock with my receiver. Headphones? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.:D

Almost forgot, I also have a Sony Minidisc player/recorder that works with the optical output on my receiver, and I'm planning on getting a 5cd changer or something of the like soon.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm a budget audiophile, have been since the late 70's. I love sound. I have systems all over the house and even more on shelves in the basement. I have 6 subs in my house on various systems (I love my little Miller & Kreisel). Anyone want a Sunfire powered 15" Advent sub? Celestion SL-6's, Magnepans, DCM Time Windows, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Adcom, NAD, Thorens, B&O, etc... none of the stuff is Conrad Johnson level but it sounds good.

How bad off am I? I have an Advent Model 300 driving an NAD amp, pushing two in-wall speakers and a sub...

in my kitchen, with the digital cable and an LCD display;)
  18. does anyone else find that the other members of their band have really muddy-sounding hi-fi gear, so when they listen to a mix they're always complaining about the bass being too loud, or if it's too low they argue that they can hear it fine (disregarding whether you can distinguish the notes or not)?
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bad sound bugs the heck out of me to a degree, whether it's muddy stereo gear, over the top subs in a car, sizzly bass rigs, etc. The funny thing is, I can listen to less than optimal sound otherwise, like old cassettes and worn LP's.
  20. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have always been an audiophile, but never had the money for really great stuff. Guess you could say I have Krell taste on a JVC budget.:)

I have:
    NAD 1020A preamp
    Sonance Sonamp 260 amp
    Dynaco FM-3 fm-stereo tuner (All tubes--can ya dig it?)
    Proton 740 cassette deck
    Cheap-a$$ Bose speakers (I REALLY want some Vandersteen 2ce Signatures. I'm getting a chubby just thinking about 'em!)

My cd player situation is in a state of flux; speakers are the priority now.

I will upgrade as the funds become available, but even with the Bose boxes it sounds pretty damn good. And that Dyna tuner. WOW! Everyone comments on how nice it sounds!:cool: