Any other company besides Fender for a good P or P/J bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, May 24, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am looking for a good bass that gets me the trad P sound (maybe with the added versatility of a jazz pup at the bridge?) Are there any other companies besides Fender that I should look at? Sadowsky? Lull? Celinder? Warmoth? Lakland

If not, which fender model is consistently good?

I would like the option of having a modern sound if needed on a particular project so take that into consideration as well...thanks
  2. Sadowsky makes a mean P/J. And with their new metro models, they are pretty affordable.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Yamarc, you and I seem to be looking for the same thing in terms of tonal capabilities, but I need a five string (haven't played a four in about twenty years). People keep mentioning the Benavente 51 in this context, AFAIK it's available in either four or five string versions. Seems that might be worth a checkout. I'm trying to get my hands on one so I can listen to it. My primary need is the P-bass sound, whatever bass I get has to nail that sound "exactly", or at least come so close that for all practical purposes it would be indistinguishable. All the rest of the tonal variation is bells and whistles as far as I'm concerned (that is to say, I'll take whatever I can get, and it's not all that critical). A nice modern slappy tone would be a nice capability though. That's what I'd hope to get out of the P/J pickup combination, or whatever pickups are there.
  4. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    For the traditional P sound, I recommend an early G&L LB100 or Legacy bass. It nails the vintage vibe, and it looks badass too. Also, the G&L SB-2 is a nice option for a P/J. You should be able to find either of these for around 400-500. Excellent basses. :cool:

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My next bass purchase will most likely be a Sadowsky PJ 5. I just love the way Sadowskys sound and sit in the mix. Fat tone. Supreme playability. Wonderful instruments.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    How about a Valenti?? :D I'm sure Nino has something great to offer :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky PJ 5 are the real deal, check them out. :bassist:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their arent any PJ Metros yet but keep asking and maybe Roger will here us. ;)
  10. I'll build you a P or P/J style bass from Warmoth parts. If your interested let me know what you want and I will let you know what it'll cost. I've built three Warmoth basses and all have been excellent instruments.

Let me know.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm going to be working on a P bass that should be ready in approximately 3 months. See the specs on the bottom of <a href=""><b>THIS PAGE.</b></a>
  12. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's up Yamarc,

I just picked up a Lull-P4 with maple board and Raven Labs pre. I like it.
  13. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Lakland. Either US signature $2000-$24000 or the Lakland Skyline series (foreign made high quality though) $825-$900

Jazz called Joe Osborn
    Precision called Bob Glaub
  14. Mike Lull makes a Great P or PJ bass, in 4 or 5 strings.
  15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish P/J, of course! :D
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im late on this but I also vote for Valenti.

I havent played his P basses yet but Im confident they'd kick major booty.

I have one Jazz by him with EMG Vintage Jazz pickups and it is wicked. I can actually get a pretty good PJ tone (think Soundgarden- "Rusty Cage) by favoring the neck PU and messing with the EQ.

My next Valenti (on order comming soon) is going to be a sherwood green 5 string with P coil EMG soapbars in the neck and a humbucker/singlecoil switchable EMG at the bridge. I have no doubts that it will rock too.

After that one Im planning to get another Valenti PJ 4 string either shoreline gold 51 P bass style, or black with a gold pickgaurd like those old Fenders.

They blow away any other bass Ive come across in the price range and Im pretty sure they could compete with basses costing much more though I havent had the pleasure of playing any super high end basses other than some Pedullas. I still prefer the Valenti.

Check out some of his work:
    The first two are for sale ;) :

This one is mine:

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to add that you should talk to Nino-Brown if you want something you dont see offered.

He was really receptive to my ideas when planning the bass.

We decided on an fairly unusual set of controls and layout which I requested. He also gave me options with 4+1 or 5 inline headtsocks, and he even discussed the possibility of adding racing stripes like you see on old Fender Mustangs but I ended up retracting my request since I was already running up the price (which was still insanely affordable).

He's also always available to talk about the instrument and we chat fairly often.

In case you havent noticed, I really think you should go with a Valenti. :D

18. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    G&L G&L G&L G&L......

The one not mentioned as far as Jazz sound goes is the JB2 !

I've got older L2000 and there isn't a tone this thing can't duplicate. So any further purchases for me have to be based on looks because this L2K can get just about any sound.